I completed my doctorate in 2003 at the University of Indiana (USA). Then, I carried out two post-doctorates in a row at the Max Planck Institut für Bioanorganische Chemie (MPI, Germany, 2003-2005) and at the Leiden University (The Netherlands, 2005-2007). In 2007 I started as ICREA Researcher in the Department of Inorganic Chemistry at the University of Barcelona (UB) and in September 2012 became ICREA Researcher Professor at the Institute of Materials Science of Barcelona (ICMAB-CSIC). I am the group leader of “Functional Nanomaterials & Surfaces” since 2014 (FunNanoSurf, http://departments.icmab.es/funnanosurf/), included in the Research Unit of “Functional Surfaces and interfaces” at the same institute. My research focuses on molecular-based materials, their nanostructuration and application taking advantage of their magnetic, electronic and/or fluorescent properties in the bulk, on surfaces and as active components in nanodevices.
My work focuses on the present need of molecular design in Nanoscience, where functional molecules would play a key role since they can provide homogeneous tunable nanometer-size units and properties ready to be exploited (as reliable sensors, switches, quantum computing materials or molecular electronics). Main targets are the design of specific molecules together with their control and organization on substrates/surfaces/nanodevices where their properties can be used. In my group, we synthesize different molecular-based systems (from 0D-3D, of curcuminoid and porphyrinic nature and respective coordination compounds), characterize and study them on substrates (eg.: graphene, gold, SWCNTs) and analyze their electronic behavior on nanodevices (eg.: nanoFETs). So far, our work has shown the advantages of our systems as (i) biomarkers and/or sensors, (ii) active components in nano-transistors and as (iii) Single-Molecule Magnets.
- Rodriguez-Cid L, Sanudo EC, Lopez-Periago A, Gonzalez-Campo A, Aliaga-Alcalde N & Domingo C 2020, ‘Novel Zn(II) Coordination Polymers Based on the Natural Molecule Bisdemethoxycurcumin‘, Crystal Growth & Design, vol. 20, no. 10, pp 6555-6564.
- Aragones AC, Martin-Rodriguez A, Aravena D, Puigmarti-Luis J, Amabilino DB, Aliaga-Alcalde N, Gonzalez-Campo A, Ruiz E & Diez-Perez I 2020, ‘Tuning Single-Molecule Conductance in Metalloporphyrin-Based Wires via Supramolecular Interactions‘, Angewandte Chemie-international Edition, vol. 59, no. 43, pp 19193-19201.
- Dulic D, Rates A, Castro E, Labra-Munoz J, Aravena D, Etcheverry-Berrios A, Riba-Lopez D, Ruiz E, Aliaga-Alcalde N, Soler M, Echegoyen L & van der Zant HSJ 2020, ‘Single-Molecule Transport of Fullerene-Based Curcuminoids‘, Journal Of Physical Chemistry C, 124, 4, 2698 – 2704.
- Portolés-Gil N, Gómez-Coca S, Vallcorba O, Marbán G, Aliaga-Alcalde N, López-Periago A, Ayllón JA & Domingo C 2020, ‘Single molecule magnets of cobalt and zinc homo- and heterometallic coordination polymers prepared by one-step synthetic procedure‘, RSC Advances, vol.10, pp 45090-45104.
Selected research activities
- Master course instructor (Nanochemistry: from small molecules to nanoporous materials).
- Member of 1 evaluation committees for PhD degree (from the Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona).
- Management of Tmol4TRANS ERC Consolidator grant.
- Member of the 2020 BIST Ignite external evaluation panel.
- Invited talk at the 13th European School on Molecular Nanoscience Virtual.