Rosemarie Nagel is an ICREA-Research Professor and BESlab-UPF director in experimental, behavioral, and neuroeconomics at Universitat Pompeu Fabra and Barcelona GSE. In 1994, Nagel gained her doctoral degree in economics under Reinhard Selten (University Bonn), and was Alvin Roth’s postdoctoral fellow (University Pittsburgh) 1994-95. Since 1995 she has been working in the Department of Economics and Business at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra; in 2006, she was promoted to full professor, and in 2007 she joined ICREA.
Her research builds bridges between economic theory and human behavior, structuring bounded rationality and economic situations through pattern recognition, experimental designs, and cognitive models using game-theoretic, laboratory and field experiments, and neuroscientific tools. She links behavioral data with brain activity gained with functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) or eye-tracking data co-working with cognitive scientists, neuroscientists, biologists, and psychologists. Furthermore, with experimental economists and macro theorists, and recently also with computational economists, she organizes summer schools, workshops, and research using experimental tools to tackle macro and computational economic questions. Her approaches are applied in micro and macroeconomics, finance, neuroeconomics, management, psychology, and computer science.
- Grosskopf B & Nagel R 2022. 'An experimental analysis of ultimatum bargaining (by Werner Güth, Rolf Schmittberger, and Bernd Schwarze)'. In (Ed G. Charness and M Pingle) The Art of Experimental Economics: Twenty Top Papers Reviewed, 37-52. London: Routledge
Selected research activities
- Co-organizer of Workshop of Computational and Experimental Economics (in Summerforum BSE)
- Co-Organizator and Lecturer of Summer School on Computational and Experimental Economics at BESLAB-UPF
- Co-Organizator and Lecturer of BESLAB International Conference on Theoretical and Experimental Macroeconomics at TU Berlin
- Invited speaker at 9th Düsseldorf Symposium on Decision Neuroscience
- Lecturer in Summer School on "Cognitive Foundations of Economic Behavior," Vitznau. Switzerland