1997: PhD in Genetics & Development, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, London, UK ("Cis-regulatory mechanisms of the Hox genes in mouse development") 1997-1998: Postdoc. Fellow on Xenopus development, University of Chile. 1998-2000: Postdoc. Fellow, MRC Human Genetics Unit, Edinburgh, UK (computational approaches to study mouse limb development) 2001: Development of a 3D optical imaging technique and introduction of the term "Optical Projection Tomography", commercialized under the name Bioptonics. 2002-2006: Tenure-track Group Leader, MRC Human Genetics Unit, Edinburgh, UK. 2006: Senior Group Leader at the CRG and ICREA Research Professor, Barcelona, Spain 2011-2017: Coordinator of the CRG Systems Biology Program. 2017: Head of EMBL Barcelona (Tissue Biology & Disease Modelling Unit) and Senior Scientist (Sharpe Group: Multicellular systems biology), Barcelona, Spain
The physical complexity of a human being, or even a single organ, is truly astounding. The goal of my lab is to understand how the activities of gene networks controls the millions of cells which make up our organs – allowing them to communicate with each other, to decide what to do at each moment during embryo development: whether to divide, which way to move, and which cells types to become (cartilage, bone, connective tissue, etc.) We believe this will only be achieved by integrating information into a computer model, and to this end we are developing new imaging and computational methods to understand one example of organogenesis – vertebrate limb development. We combine various systems biology approaches to integrate data on cell activities and gene networks into a realistic 4D computer simulation of the process. This is a truly interdisciplinary endeavour, and the lab is therefore composed of physicists, engineers and computer scientists as well as biologists.
- Llambrich, Sergi; Gonzalez, Ruben; Albaiges, Julia; Wouters, Jens; Marain, Fopke; Himmelreich, Uwe; Sharpe, James; Dierssen, Mara; Gsell, Willy; Martinez-Abadias, Neus; Vande Velde, Greetje 2022, 'Multimodal in vivo Imaging of the Integrated Postnatal Development of Brain and Skull and Its Co-modulation With Neurodevelopment in a Down Syndrome Mouse Model', Frontiers In Medicine, 9, 815739.
- Klatzow, James; Dalmasso, Giovanni; Martinez-Abadias, Neus; Sharpe, James; Uhlmann, Virginie 2022, 'mu Match: 3D Shape Correspondence for Biological Image Data', Frontiers In Computer Science, 4, 777615.
- Oriola, David; Marin-Riera, Miquel; Anlas, Kerim; Gritti, Nicola; Sanaki-Matsumiya, Marina; Aalderink, Germaine; Ebisuya, Miki; Sharpe, James; Trivedi, Vikas 2022, 'Arrested coalescence of multicellular aggregates', Soft Matter, 18, 3771-3780
- Dalmasso, Giovanni; Musy, Marco; Niksic, Martina; Robert-Moreno, Alexandre; Badia-Careaga, Claudio; Jose Sanz-Ezquerro, Juan; Sharpe, James 2022, '4D reconstruction of murine developmental trajectories using spherical harmonics', Developmental Cell, 57, 17, 2140 - +.
- Llambrich, Sergi; Gonzalez-Colom, Ruben; Wouters, Jens; Roldan, Jorge; Salassa, Sara; Wouters, Kaat; Van Bulck, Vicky; Sharpe, James; Callaerts-Vegh, Zsuzsanna; Vande Velde, Greetje; Martinez-Abadias, Neus 2022, 'Green Tea Catechins Modulate Skeletal Development with Effects Dependent on Dose, Time, and Structure in a down Syndrome Mouse Model', Nutrients, 14, 19, 4167.