* 2020 ERC Grant * Full Professor of Biochemistry * 2014 ICREA Research Professor * 2013 ERC Grant * 2010 - Group Leader, Bioinformatics and Genomics Program, Centre for Genomic Regulation, Barcelona (Spain) * 2011 - Clare Hall Life Member, University of Cambridge (UK) * 2005-2010 - Postdoctoral Fellow, Clare Hall College, Chemistry Department, University of Cambridge (UK) * 2001-2005 - PhD, Biochemistry Department, University of Zurich, Zurich (CH) * 1996-2000 - MPhil Theoretical Physics, Statistical Mechanics, University la Sapienza, Rome (Italy)
My main focus is to understand the role played by RNA molecules in protein networks. Characterizing protein-RNA associations is key to unravel the complexity and functionality of mammalian genomes and will open up therapeutic avenues for the treatment of a broad range of human disorders. I aim to discover the involvement of RNA molecules in regulatory networks controlling protein production and I am interested in understanding mechanisms whose alteration lead to aberrant aggregation. We have recently observed that interaction between proteins and mRNAs induce feedback loops that are crucial in protein homeostasis. We also found that specific proteins and RNAs phase separate in the cytosol and nucleus when their abundance is significantly high and we are investigating how large assemblies formation affects cell function.
– Cerase A, Armaos A, Neumayer C, Avner P, Guttman M & Tartaglia GG 2019, ‘Phase separation drives X-chromosome inactivation: a hypothesis‘, Nature Structural & Molecular Biology, volume 26, pp. 331-334.
– Zacco E, Grana-Montes R, Martin SR, Sanchez de Groot N, Alfano C & Tartaglia GG*, Pastore A 2019, ‘RNA as a key factor in driving or preventing self-assembly of the TAR DNA-binding protein 43’, Journal Of Molecular Biology, 431, 8, 1671 – 1688. * Corresponding author.
– de Groot NS, Armaos A, Graña-Montes R, Alriquet M, Calloni G, Vabulas RM & Tartaglia GG 2019, ‘RNA structure drives interaction with proteins‘, Nature Communications , 10, 3246.
– Bolognesi B, Faure AJ, Seuma M, Schmiedel JM, Tartaglia GG & Lehner B 2019, ‘The mutational landscape of a prion-like domain’, Nature Communications, 10, 4162.
– Lang B, Armaos A & Tartaglia GG 2019, ‘RNAct: Protein-RNA interaction predictions for model organisms with supporting experimental data.’ Nucleic Acids Res. 47(D1):D601-D606.
Selected research activities
– Award of the ERC Synergy
– Teaching classes of Computational Biology
– Associate Editor at NAR Bioinformatics and Genomics