Antonio Acín is an ICREA Research Professor at ICFO-The Institute of Photonic Sciences. He has a degree in Physics from the Universitat de Barcelona (UB) and in Telecommunication Engineering from the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya. He got his PhD in Theoretical Physics in 2001 from the UB. After a post-doctoral stay in Geneva, in the group of Prof. Gisin (GAP-Optique), he joined ICFO in 2003. At ICFO, Acín leads the Quantum Information Theory group. His research has been awarded with 4 grants from the European Research Council: 1 Starting, 1 Proof of Concept, 1 Consolidator and 1 Advanced Grant, the latter starting in 2020. He also received an AXA Chair in Quantum Information Science in 2016.
Acín's main research interest is in quantum information theory. This is a scientific area that studies how information is processed and transmitted when encoded on quantum particles. Using quantum effects, new information tasks become possible: more powerful computers, novel cryptographic protocols with unprucedented levels of security or more precise sensing devices. It is a highly inter-disciplinary area combining tools and concepts from mathematics, computer science, physics and engineering. Acín's research activity also covers aspects of foundations of quantum physics, quantum thermodynamics, many-body physics and quantum optics.
- Planella G, Cenni MFB, Acin A & Mehboudi M 2022, 'Bath-Induced Correlations Enhance Thermometry Precision at Low Temperatures', Physical Review Letters, 128, 4, 040502.
- Li Z-D, Mao Y-L, Weilenmann M, Tavakoli A, Chen H, Feng L, Yang S-J, Renou M-O, Trillo D, Le TP, Gisin N, Acin A, Navascues M, Wang Z & Fan J 2022, 'Testing Real Quantum Theory in an Optical Quantum Network', Physical Review Letters, 128, 4, 040402.
- Frerot, I, Baccari F & Acin A 2022, 'Unveiling Quantum Entanglement in Many-Body Systems from Partial Information', Prx Quantum, 3, 1, 010342.
- Hsieh C-Y, Lostaglio M & Acin A 2022, 'Quantum channel marginal problem', Physical Review Research, 4, 1, 013249.
- Cenni, MFB, Lami L, Acin A & Mehboudi M 2022, 'Thermometry of Gaussian quantum systems using Gaussian measurements', Quantum, 6, 743.
- Colomer MP, Mortimer L, Frerot I, Farkas M & Acin A 2022, 'Three numerical approaches to find mutually unbiased bases using Bell inequalities', Quantum, 6, p. 778.
- Bowles J, Dauphin A, Huembeli P, Martinez J & Acin A 2022, 'Quadratic Unconstrained Binary Optimization via Quantum-Inspired Annealing', Physical Review Applied, 18, 3, 034016.
- Abiuso P, Kriváchy T, Boghiu EC, Renou MO, Pozas-Kerstjens A & Acín A 2022, ‘Single-photon nonlocality in quantum networks’, Physical Review Research, 4, L012041