Ramón Álvarez Puebla is an ICREA Research Professor at the Universitat Rovira i Virgili and the Center for Chemical Technology of Catalonia, both in Tarragona. He studied Chemistry at the Universidad de Navarra and got his PhD from the Universidad Pública de Navarra in Surface Science. In 2004 he joined the group of Ricardo Aroca at the University of Windsor (Canada) where he remained in a cross appointment with the General Motors Research and Development center until the end of 2005. In 2006, Dr Álvarez was promoted to Research Officer at the National Center for Nanotechnology (NINT) belonging to the National Research Council of Canada. In 2008 he moved to Spain at the Universidad de Vigo, Spain. He joined ICREA in October of 2012.
Dr. Álvarez-Puebla is an expert in surface science and spectroscopy with emphasis on the fabrication and characterization of plasmonic particles and their integration into advanced “all optical” sensing devices for biomedicine, chemical biology and environmental monitoring. Currently he is interested in: – Design and development of plasmonic functional materials and their integration into real live “all optical” sensors. – Development of new technologies for pathogen/disease marker detection by using localized surface plasmon resonances, Raman and SERS. – In vivo intracellular monitoring and imaging of relevant cytoplasm metabolites under different conditions (health/disease). – Optical technologies for the ultrafast and ultrasensitive recognition of active compounds in combinatorial libraries.
– Palmer SJ, Xiao X, Pazos-Perez N, Guerrini L, Correa-Duarte MA, Maier SA, Craster RV, Alvarez-Puebla RA & Giannini V 2019, ‘Extraordinarily transparent compact metallic metamaterials‘, Nature Communications, 10, 2118.
– Carrillo-Carrion C, Martinez R, Navarro P, Maria F, Pelaz B, Polo E, Arenas-Vivo A, Olgiati A, Taboada P, Soliman MG, Catalan U, Fernandez-Castillejo S, Sola R, Parak WJ, Horcajada P, Alvarez-Puebla RA & del Pino P 2019, ‘Aqueous Stable Gold Nanostar/ZIF-8 Nanocomposites for Light-Triggered Release of Active Cargo Inside Living Cells’, Angewandte Chemie-international Edition, 58, 21, 7078 – 7082.
– Guerrini L & Alvarez-Puebla RA 2019, ‘Surface-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy in Cancer Diagnosis, Prognosis and Monitoring’, Cancers, 11, 6, 748.
– Phan-Quang GC, Han X, Koh CSL, Sim HYF, Lay CL, Leong SX, Lee YH, Pazos-Perez N, Alvarez-Puebla RA & Ling XY 2019, ‘Three-Dimensional Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering Platforms: Large-Scale Plasmonic Hotspots for New Applications in Sensing, Microreaction, and Data Storage’, Accounts Of Chemical Research, 52, 7, 1844 – 1854.
– Guerrini L & Alvarez-Puebla RA* 2019, ‘Multiplex SERS Chemosensing of Metal Ions via DNA-Mediated Recognition’, Analytical Chemistry, 18, 11778-11784.
– Blanco-Formoso M, Sousa-Castillo A, Xiao X, Mariño-Lopez A, Turino M, Pazos-Perez N, Giannini V*, Correa-Duarte MA* & Alvarez-Puebla RA* 2019, ‘Boosting the analytical properties of gold nanostars by single particle confinement into Yolk porous silica shells’, Nanoscale 11, 21872-21879.