Studied Physics at Universitat de Barcelona (UB) in 1997, where also obtained his PhD (European Doctorate and PhD Extraordinary Award) in 2001. He also worked as Assistant Professor at UB. From 2009 to 2015 he was ICREA Prof. at Institut de Ciència de Materials de Barcelona, ICMAB-CSIC. Since 2015 he is ICREA Prof. at Institut Català de Nanociència i Nanotecnologia (ICN2) and Leader of the Advanced Electron Nanoscopy Group. Since 2017 he is President of the Spanish Microscopy Society (SME), was Vice-President from 2013 to 2017 and since 2009 he is Member of its Executive Board. Member of the Executive Board of the International Federation of Societies for Microscopy (IFSM) (2019-2026). Scientific Supervisor of the Electron Microscopy Transversal Area at ICN2 and BIST. Awarded with the EU40 Materials Prize 2014 (E-MRS) & listed in the Top 40 under 40 Power List (2014) by The Analytical Scientist. ~350 publications; h-index: 67 (WoS); 77 (GoS).
Exploring the limits of physical resolution in advanced electron microscopy and understanding the ultimate behavior of materials at the nanoscale and their related properties are the central aims of our research. Main research lines:
1) Single atom recognition and localization in embedded quantum and nanostructures. From the atomic resolution data we obtain in the aberration corrected electron microscopes we create 3D atomic models of the nanosystems studied to get full knowledge on their growth mechanisms.
2) Direct correlation between the structure and elemental composition at the atomic scale and the physical properties at sub-nanometer scale: study of the photonic, plasmonic and phononic properties of the nanomaterials, correlated to simulated theoretical models.
3) Development of in-situ / in-operando experiments in the TEM to understand the physical and chemical phenomena promoting energy mechansims, correlating theoretical models with
– Tang PY, Arbiol J* et al. 2019, ‘Boosting Photoelectrochemical Water Oxidation of Hematite in Acidic Electrolytes by Surface State Modification‘, Adv. Ener. Mater., 9, 1901836.
– Mofarah SS, Arbiol J et al. 2019, ‘Coordination Polymer to Atomically Thin, Holey, Metal‐Oxide Nanosheets for Tuning Band Alignment‘, Adv. Mater., 31, 1905288.
– de la Mata M, Arbiol J* et al. 2019, ‘The Role of Polarity in Nonplanar Semiconductor Nanostructures‘, Nano Lett., 19, 3396-3408.
– Tang P & Arbiol J* 2019, ‘Engineering Surface States of Hematite Based Photoanodes for Boosting Photoelectrochemical Water Splitting‘, Nanoscale Horiz., 4, 1256-1276.
– Aseev P, Arbiol J et al. 2019, ‘Selectivity map for molecular beam epitaxy of advanced III-V quantum nanowire networks‘, Nano Lett., 19, 218-227.
– Ibáñez M, Arbiol J, Cabot A et al. 2019, ‘Tuning Transport Properties in Thermoelectric Nanocomposites through Inorganic Ligands and Heterostructured Building Blocks‘, ACS Nano, 13, 6572-6580.
– Güniat L, Arbiol J et al. 2019, ‘III-V Integration on Si(100): Vertical Nanospades‘, ACS Nano, 13, 5833-5840.
– Aseev P, Arbiol J et al. 2019, ‘Ballistic InSb nanowires and networks via metal-sown selective area growth.‘, Nano Lett., 19, 9102-9111.
– Güniat L, Arbiol J et al. 2019, ‘Hierarchical Porous Ni3S4 with Enriched High‐Valence Ni Sites as a Robust Electrocatalyst for Efficient Oxygen Evolution Reaction‘, Adv. Funct. Mater., 29, 1900315.
– Ibupoto ZH, J. Arbiol, et al. 2019, ‘MoSx@NiO Composite Nanostructures: An Advanced Nonprecious Catalyst for Hydrogen Evolution Reaction in Alkaline Media‘, Adv. Funct. Mater., 29, 1807562.
Selected research activities
– 37 Publications in 2019 with average IF of 11.1 (28 D1, 35 Q1)
– 1 Plenary, 6 Keynote, 2 Invited Talks
– 2 Invited Seminars (Trivago, Microsoft Q-Lab Delft)
– President of the Spanish Microscopy Society (SME)
– Member of the Executive Board of the International Federation of Societies for Microscopy (IFSM)