Pablo Ballester studied Chemistry at the University of the Balearic Islands (UIB) where he also completed the PhD degree in 1986. In 1987 he was post-doctoral Associate with Prof. J. Rebek Jr. at the University of Pittsburgh. In 1988 after a post-doctoral stay at UIB with Porf. J. M. Saá he returned to Pittsburgh and moved to MIT in 1989. From 1991 to 2002 he held the positions of Assistant and Associate Professor and served as Secretary of the Chemistry Department, Vice-dean of of Sciences and Head of Chemistry Studies at UIB. In 2003 he was in sabbatical leave at the Scripps Research Institute (USA) with the rank of Associate Professor of Research and got an ICREA Research Professorship. He joined ICIQ as Group Leader in 2004. From 2016 to 2018, he served as ICIQ Vice-Director for BIST affairs. He is the recipient of the 2012 Janssen Cilag Organic Chemistry Prize and the Chemistry Fellow Distinction 2020-2021 Class. He was elected EurASc fellow in 2021.
My scientific background lies in the areas of organic chemistry (making molecules) and supramolecular chemistry (study how molecules fit together). My current research focuses on the design, synthesis, study and characterization of functional molecular aggregates. I consider myself a mixture between a molecular architect and a molecular engineer. We study matter but we also produce matter and new materials. We apply molecular self-assembly processes as a methodology to construct large and functional supramolecular aggregates, i.e. molecular machines, molecular sensing assemblies and devices. A second area of my current interests resides in the design and application of molecular containers. These are molecular or supramolecular structures with an internal cavity sufficiently large to include or encapsulate other molecules. Unfortunately, although we construct monumental and even artistic structures they are not visible to the naked eye due to their reduced nanometer size.
- Rivoli A, Aragay G, Gimeno MC & Ballester P 2022, 'Chloride Binding Properties of a Macrocyclic Receptor Equipped with an Acetylide Gold(I) Complex: Synthesis, Characterization, Reactivity, and Cytotoxicity Studies', Inorganics, 10, 7, 95.
- Ballester P, Wang QQ & Gaeta C 2022, 'Supramolecular approaches to mediate chemical reactivity', Beilstein J Org Chem, 18:1463-1465.
- Shkembi X, Botero ML, Skouridou V, et al. 2022, 'Novel nandrolone aptamer for rapid colorimetric detection of anabolic steroids', Anal Biochem. 658:114937.
- Corba A, Sierra AF, Blondeau P, et al. 2022, 'Potentiometric detection of creatinine in the presence of nicotine: Molecular recognition, sensing and quantification through multivariate regression', Talanta, 246:123473.
- Sun Q, Escobar L & Ballester P 2022, 'A Dinuclear Metallobridged Super Aryl-Extended Calixpyrrole Cavitand', Angew Chem Int Ed, 61(22):e202202140.
Selected research activities
- Defended theses supervisor (PhD-URV): A. F. Sierra, C. Mirabella and P. Mendoça
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board, Institute of Advanced Chemistry of Catalonia (IQAC), Spain
- Scientific Collaborator of Agencia Estatal de Investigación (AEI)
- Chemistry Europe Fellow Class 2020-2021 awarded bianually by Chemistry Europe Societies
- Guest editor with C. Gaeta (Italy) and Q.Q. Wang (China) of the tematic issue "Supramolecular approaches to medtiate chemical reactivity" published in Beilstein Journal of Organic Chemistry