Gemma Boleda is an ICREA Research Professor in the Department of Translation and Language Sciences of the Universitat Pompeu Fabra, where she heads the Computational Linguistics and Linguistic Theory (COLT) research group. She previously held post-doctoral positions at the Department of Linguistics of The University of Texas at Austin and the CIMEC Center for Brain/Mind Sciences of the University of Trento. In her research, currently funded by an ERC Starting Grant, Dr. Boleda uses quantitative and computational methods to better understand the semantics of natural languages.
I want to understand how language works; in particular, how humans convey meaning through language. I address this research question from an interdisciplinary perspective, integrating methodologies from Linguistics and Artificial Intelligence, with an emphasis on computational modeling of linguistic data.
Selected research activities
Prior to my ICREA appointment – Selected Publications
- Aina, L., K. Gulordava, G. Boleda. 2019. Putting words in context: LSTM language models and lexical ambiguity. In Proceedings of ACL 2019 (57th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics), 3342-3348, Florence, Italy. Association for Computational Linguistics.
- Del Tredici, M., R. Fernández, G. Boleda. 2019. Short-term meaning shift: a distributional exploration. In Proceedings of NAACL-HLT 2019 (Annual Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics), 2069-2075, Minneapolis, USA. Association for Computational Linguistics.
- Aina, L., Silberer, C., Sorodoc, I., Westera, M., Boleda, G. 2019. What do entity-centric models learn? Insights from entity linking in multi-party dialogue. In Proceedings of NAACL-HLT 2019 (Annual Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics), 3772-3783, Minneapolis, USA. Association for Computational Linguistics.
Prior to my ICREA appointment – Most releveant invited conference presentations
- Boleda G. Distributed methods and the interplay between language and reality. Invited keynote lecture, RELATIONS – Workshop on meaning relations between phrases and sentences, co-located with IWCS 2019, Gothenburg, Sweden. May 2019.
- Boleda G. Talking about you: Deep Learning models of linguistic reference. Invited keynote lecture, Vector Space Semantics for Dialogue and Discourse workshop, co-located with IWCS 2019, Gothenburg, Sweden. May 2019.