I graduated in Physics in 1998 and completed my PhD in 2003 from the University of Barcelona. From 2004 to 2007 I was a postdoctoral researcher at the University of California at Berkeley and in the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, under Prof. A. Paul Alivisatos' guidance. I returned to the Electronics Department of the University of Barcelona in 2007, and in 2009 I joined the Catalonia Institute for Energy Research - IREC to create the Functional Nanomaterials Group. Now, as ICREA Research Professor, I lead a team of approximately 15 people devoted to the preparation and characterization of metal and semiconductor nanostructures, the assessment of their functional properties and their bottom-up assembly to fabricate high efficiency and cost-effective energy conversion and storage devices.
My research focuses on the design, production and manipulation of nanocrystals and nanomaterials, their functional characterization and their technological application in the energy field. I use solution-based processes to produce these nanocrystals and to assemble them to the macroscale. Solution-based methods allow both a unique control over composition and crystal phase at the nanometer scale and a high versatility in the development of socially and economically-relevant technologies. From an application point of view, I have centered my work in the development of materials for energy conversion and storage. In particular, my group develops solution-processed thermoelectric nanocomposites from the bottom-up assembly of colloidal nanocrystals, catalysts and photocatalysts and electrode materials for fuel cells and batteries.
– Liu J, Yu X, Du R, Zhang C, Zhang T, Llorca J, Arbiol J, Wang Y, Meyns M & Cabot A 2019, ‘Chromium phosphide CrP as highly active and stable electrocatalysts for oxygen electroreduction in alkaline media‘, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 256, 117846.
– Liu J et al. 2019, ‘Graphene-supported palladium phosphide PdP2 nanocrystals for ethanol electrooxidation’, Applied Catalysis B-environmental, 242, 258 – 266.
– Yu X, Zhang C, Luo Z, Zhang T, Liu J, Li J, Zuo Y, Biendicho JJ, Llorca J, Arbiol J, Morante JR & Cabot A 2019, ‘A low temperature solid state reaction to produce hollow MnxFe3-xO4 nanoparticles as anode for lithium-ion batteries‘, Nano Energy, 66, 104199.
– Ibanez M et al. 2019, ‘Ligand-Mediated Band Engineering in Bottom-Up Assembled SnTe Nanocomposites for Thermoelectric Energy Conversion’, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 141, 8025-8029.
– Ibanez M et al. 2019, ‘Transport Properties in Thermoelectric Nanocomposites through Inorganic Ligands and Heterostructured Building Blocks’, ACS Nano, 13, 6572 – 6580.
– Zhang C et al. 2019, ‘Catalytic Activity and Efficient Polar Tubular Nanostructure in Urchin-Like Metallic NiCo2Se4 for High-Performance Lithium-Sulfur Batteries’, Advanced Functional Materials, 29, 1903842.
– Zuo Y et al. 2019, ‘In Situ Electrochemical Oxidation of Cu2S into CuO Nanowires as a Durable and Efficient Electrocatalyst for Oxygen Evolution Reaction’, Chemistry Of Materials, 31, 7732 – 7743.
– Urbain F et al. 2019, ‘Upscaling high activity oxygen evolution catalysts based on CoFe2O4 nanoparticles supported on nickel foam for power-to-gas electrochemical conversion with energy efficiencies above 80%’, Applied Catalysis B-environmental, 259, 118055.
Selected research activities
2 Gradutated PhD Students
2 New PhD Students
4 New Research Projects, including H2020-FETOPEN: UncorrelaTEd
2 New European Patents