I graduated in Physics in 1998 and completed my PhD in 2003 from the University of Barcelona. From 2004 to 2007 I was a postdoctoral researcher at the University of California at Berkeley and in the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, under Prof. A. Paul Alivisatos' guidance. I returned to the Electronics Department of the University of Barcelona in 2007, and in 2009 I joined the Catalonia Institute for Energy Research - IREC to create the Functional Nanomaterials Group. Now, as ICREA Research Professor, I lead a team of 22 people devoted to the preparation and characterization of metal and semiconductor nanostructures, the assessment of their functional properties and their bottom-up assembly to fabricate high-efficiency and cost-effective energy conversion and storage devices.
My research focuses on the design, synthesis and manipulation of nanocrystals and nanomaterials, their functional characterization and their application in the energy field. I use mostly solution-based processes to produce these nanocrystals and to assemble them to the macroscale. Solution-based methods allow for both unique control over composition and crystal phase at the nanometer scale and high versatility in the development of cost-effective technologies. From an application point of view, I have centered my work on the development of materials for energy conversion and storage. In particular, my group develops solution-processed thermoelectric nanocomposites from the bottom-up assembly of colloidal nanocrystals, (photo, electro)catalysts to accelerate energy-related chemical reactions and electrodes for next-generation batteries.
- Liashenko I, Ramon A, Rosell-Llompart J & Cabot A 2022, 'Patterning with Aligned Electrospun Nanofibers by Electrostatic Deflection of Fast Jets, Advanced Engineering Materials, 24, 2101804.
- Li M et al. 2022,'Enhanced Polysulfide Conversion with Highly Conductive and Electrocatalytic Iodine-Doped Bismuth Selenide Nanosheets in Lithium-Sulfur Batteries', Advanced Functional Materials, 32, 2200529.
- Li J et al. 2022, 'Electrochemical reforming of ethanol with acetate Co-Production on nickel cobalt selenide nanoparticles', Chemical Engineering Journal, 440, 135817.
- Yang D, Li M, Zheng X, Han X, Zhang C, Jacas Biendicho J, Llorca J, Wang J, Hao H, Li J, Henkelman G, Arbiol J, Morante JR, Mitlin D, Chou S & Cabot A 2022, 'Phase Engineering of Defective Copper Selenide toward Robust Lithium-Sulfur Batteries', ACS Nano, 16(7):11102-11114.
- Zhang CY, Zhang C, Sun GW, Pan JL, Gong L, Sun GZ, Biendicho JJ, Balcells L, Fan XL, Morante JR, Zhou JY, & Cabot A 2022, 'Spin Effect to Promote Reaction Kinetics and Overall Performance of Lithium-Sulfur Batteries under External Magnetic Field', Angew Chem Int Ed Engl, 61(49):e202211570.
- Yang D, Liang Z, Tang P, Zhang C, Tang M, Li Q, Biendicho JJ, Li J, Heggen M, Dunin-Borkowski RE, Xu M, Llorca J, Arbiol J, Morante JR, Chou SL & Cabot A 2022, 'A High Conductivity 1D π-d Conjugated Metal-Organic Framework with Efficient Polysulfide Trapping-Diffusion-Catalysis in Lithium-Sulfur Batteries', Adv Mater, 34(10):e2108835.
Selected research activities
New projects: Innovative and sustainable high voltage Li-ion cells for next generation (EV) batteries, InteLigent, HORIZON-CL5-2021-D2-01-02; Advanced sensing, monitoring and self-healing mechanisms to self-repair batteries, HealingBat, HORIZON-CL5-2022-D2-01-06.
Graduated PhD students: Chaoqi Zhang, Mengyao Li, Ruifeng Du, Zhifu Liang, Xiang Wang, Dawei Yang