Xavier Costa-Pérez is ICREA Research Professor, Scientific Director at the i2cat Research Center and Head of 5G/6G Networks R&D at NEC Laboratories Europe. His research focuses on the digital transformation of society driven by the interplay of mobile networks and AI. His team generates research results which are regularly published at top scientific venues, produces innovations which have received several awards for successful technology transfers, participates in major EC R&D projects and contributes to standardization bodies. He has served on the committees of several conferences, published papers of high impact and holds tenths of granted patents. In 2022 he served as Editor at IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing and Elsevier Computer Communications journals. Xavier received both his M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Telecommunications from UPC.
The ever-wider availability of technologies such as mobile networks, artificial intelligence, cloud services, data analytics and ICT platforms is dramatically altering the way we live, work and interact – in what is usually referred to as the Fourth Industrial Revolution. The upcoming Beyond 5G disruptive technologies represent a key pillar for enabling this digital revolution unfolding around us. In contrast to previous mobile network generations, a key new aspect for the mobile industry moving forward is the need to expand the mobile ecosystem to also incorporate industry verticals like automotive, manufacturing, smart-grids and health. While early research and field-trials results are promising, The AI-driven automation of mobile networks for a cost-efficient digital transformation (DX) is still at its infancy and will require of a huge research effort to deliver on the DX promises in the next decades.
- Albanese A Sciancalepore V & Costa-Perez X 2022, 'SARDO: An Automated Search-and-Rescue Drone-Based Solution for Victims Localization', IEEE Transactions On Mobile Computing, 21, 9, 3312 - 3325.
- Ayala-Romero JA, Garcia-Saavedra A, Gramaglia M, Costa-Perez X, Banchs A & Alcaraz JJ 2022, 'vrAIn: Deep Learning Based Orchestration for Computing and Radio Resources in vRANs', IEEE Transactions On Mobile Computing, 21, 7, 2652 - 2670.
- Sciancalepore V, Zanzi L, Costa-Perez X & Capone A 2022, 'ONETS: Online Network Slice Broker From Theory to Practice', IEEE Transactions On Wireless Communications, 21, 1, 121 - 134.
- Zhang C, Costa-Perez X & Patras P 2022, 'Adversarial Attacks Against Deep Learning-Based Network Intrusion Detection Systems and Defense Mechanisms', IEEE-ACM Transactions On Networking, 30, 3, 1294-1311.
Selected research activities
- EPEW – Keynote – “AI for Future 6G Systems”
- IEEE Future Networks World Forum - Speaker - "5G Security Review and Future 6G Challenges"
- IEEE APNOMS – Panelist – “AI for Operating and Managing 5G/6G Systems”
- IEEE 5G World Forum - Panelist – “The Race to 5G is Not Won Yet”
- O-RAN nGRG Workshop - Panelist - “6G Use Cases, AI and Open RAN Future Directions”
- ACM MOBICOM 2023 - Appointed as General Chair
- AI & Big Data Congress Barcelona – Organizing Committee
- ECO6G - Moderator
Editorial Board Member
- IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing
- Elsevier Computer Communications
- 3 new PhDs
- 2 PhD Graduations
- 1 Master Thesis
- 2 Bachelor Thesis
- Appointed as IEEE Vehicular Technology Society (VTS) – Distinguished Lecturer
- Invited to serve as "Experto Evaluador Agencia Estatal de Investigación"
- Invited to serve as "Times Higher Education" Rankings reviewer
- Patent application on drone-based cellular missing victims localization
Research Dissemination in Specialized/General Media
- IEEE Spectrum, El Mundo, Diario ABC, El Confidencial, etc.