1996 PhD Dept. Cellular and Developmental Biology, University of Rome, Italy. 1996-2000 Postdoctoral work at the University of Marburg, Germany. 2000-2002 Senior Investigator at the European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy. 2003 Group Leader at the Centre de Regulació Genòmica (CRG), Barcelona, Spain. Research Professor, Institució Catalana de Recerca i Estudis Avançats (ICREA). 2013 Elected EMBO Member. Luciano Di Croce is the coordinator of a new Marie Curie ITN project entitled “Chromatin architecture and Design – ChromDesign” (GA 813327) granted by the European Commission’s H2020-MSCA-ITN-2018 program.
Epigenetic changes, such as histone modifications and DNA methylation, are common alterations in cancer cells. Our laboratory is addressing the molecular basis of epigenetic alterations during the early phase of the tumorigenesis process. The expression of onco-proteins in hematopoietic precursor cells provides a unique model system to follow the molecular step from a normal to a transformed cell on the level of gene transcription, nuclear structure and chromatin. More recently, Di Croce lab is interested in understanding how variations in the assembly of the Polycomb complexes occur and influence mES cell differentiation and animal development.
– Aranda S, Alcaine-Colet A, Blanco E, Borras E, Caillot C, Sabido E & Di Croce L 2019, ‘Chromatin capture links the metabolic enzyme AHCY to stem cell proliferation’, Science Advances, 5, 3, eaav2448.
– Ji Y, Fioravanti J, Zhu W, Wang H, Wu T, Hui J, Lacey NE, Gautam S, Le Gall JB, Yang X, Hocker JD, Escobar TM, He S, Dell’Orso S, Hawk NV, Kapoor V, Telford WG, Di Croce L, Muljo SA, Zhang Y, Sartorelli V & Gattinoni L 2019, ‘miR-155 harnesses Phf19 to potentiate cancer immunotherapy through epigenetic reprogramming of CD8(+) T cell fate’, Nature Communications, 10, 2157.
– Castaño J, Aranda S, Bueno C, Calero-Nieto FJ, Mejia-Ramirez E, Blanco E, Wang X, Prieto C, Zabaleta L, Rovira M, Gӧttgens B, Di Croce L, Menendez P, Raya A, Giorgetti A 2019, ‘GATA2 promotes hematopoietic development and represses cardiac differentiation of human mesoderm‘. Stem Cell Reports, 13, 515-529.
– Aranda, Sergi; Di Croce, Luciano 2019, ‘A lid for the marker’, Nature, 573, 7772, 38 – 39.
– Di Carlo V, Mocavini I, Di Croce L. 2019, ‘Polycomb complexes in normal and malignant hematopoiesis’, J Cell Biol, 218 (1): 55.
Selected research activities
Organizer of several international conferences, including for 2019 ChromDesign meeting, Copenhagen, Denmark
Since 2015: co-organizer of the “The Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology” (BIST) Master school
Since 2014, co-organizer of the Cold Spring Harbour Laboratories Summer course on ‘Chromatin, Epigenetics and Transcription’
Since 2012 Chair of the Graduate Programme at CRG
ERC Panel Member for 2016-2022
Human Frontier Science Program (HFSP) Panel Member for 2018-2020
Since 2018 Expert for the Italian Ministry of Health (field of Biomedicine)
EMBO Member (since 2013)