November 2015 – ICREA Research Professor; February 2009 - Group Leader – Medical Optics. Dr. Turgut Durduran is a group leader at ICFO. He founded the ICFO-Medical Optics group in 2009 when he joined ICFO and in 2014 he received his tenure and became a professor/group leader. In 2015, he became an ICREA (Catalan Institution for Research and Advanced Studies) Professor at ICFO. Over the years, the group has grown exponentially, currently, with a large number of PhD students, post-docs and engineers collaborating with about a dozen hospitals and biomedical institutes world-wide. He has participated in many advisory boards, grant review boards ranging from the National Institutes of Health to the review of the FP7 projects at the European Commission. He has authored over hundred peer-reviewed papers and delivered over a hundred and fifty invited talks in international conferences and colloquia.
Turgut is a physicist who is an expert in biomedical optics. He studies the physics of photon propagation in biological tissues and builds machines that can see through our bodies like never before. His group is highly multi-disciplinary: physicists, engineers and medical doctors, and collaborates closely with hospitals and biomedical centers all around the world. Turgut’s current focus is the measurement of hemodynamics and oxygen metabolism. His dream is to see these devices becoming standard clinical equipment for the doctors of the future.
– Gregori-Pla C, Blanco I, Camps-Renom P, Zirak P, Serra I, Cotta G, Maruccia F, Prats-Sanchez L, Martinez-Domeño A, Busch D, Giacalone G, Martí-Fàbregas J, Durduran T & Delgado-Mederos R, ‘Early microvascular cerebral blood flow response to head-of-bed elevation is related to outcome in acute ischemic stroke‘, Journal of Neurology, 266, 4, 990 – 997.
– Dragojevic T, Vidal-Rosas EE, Hollmann JL, Zappa F, Justicia C & Durduran T 2019, ‘Functional high-density speckle contrast optical tomography (SCOT) in small animals and in human brain’, Journal Of Cerebral Blood Flow And Metabolism, 39, 477 – 477.
– Mireles MA, Morales-Dalmau J, Johansson JD, Vidal EE, Vilches C, Martínez-Lozano M del Mar, Sanz V, De Miguel I, Casanovas O, Quidant R & Durduran T 2019,’Non-invasive and quantitative in vivo monitoring of gold nanoparticle concentration and tissue hemodynamics by diffuse optical spectroscopies‘, Journal Nanoscale, 11, 12, 5595 – 5606.
– Giovannella M, Andresen B, Andersen JB, El-Mahdaoui S, Contini D, Spinelli L, Torricelli A, Greisen G, Durduran T, Weigel UM, 2019, ‘Validation of diffuse correlation spectroscopy (babylux device) against O-15-water PET for regional cerebral blood flow measurement in neonatal piglets‘, Journal Of Cerebral Blood Flow And Metabolism, 39, 185 – 186.
– Gregori-Pla C, Delgado-Mederos R, Cotta G, Giacalone G, Maruccia F, Avtzi S, Prats-Sánchez l, Martínez-Domeño A, Camps-Renom P, Martí-Fàbregas J, Durduran T & Mayos M 2019, ‘Microvascular cerebral blood flow fluctuations in association with apneas and hypopneas in acute ischemic stroke’, Neurophtonics, 6(2), 025004.
– Dragojevic T, Vidal Rosas EE, Hollmann JL, Culver JP, Justicia C & Durduran T 2019, ‘High-density speckle contrast optical tomography of cerebral blood flow response to functional stimuli in the rodent brain’ Neurophotonics, 6(4), 045001.