Majid Ebrahim-Zadeh received his PhD from St Andrews, UK, in 1989. He was a Royal Society Research Fellow during 199-2001 and joined ICFO as ICREA Professor in 2003. He has >610 publications, including 210 journal papers (5 invited), 110 invited talks, 18 monographs and reviews, and has edited 2 books. He has served as advisory and topical editor of Optics Letters, guest editor of J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, associate editor of IEEE Photonics Journal, associate editor of Optica, and on advisory board and expert evaluation panel of various scientific councils including ERC Advanced Grants (2014-2020). He is director and chief scientist of Radiantis, a Fellow of Optica and SPIE, recipient of two Royal Society Merit Awards (UK: 1995, 1999), Innova Prize (Spain: 2004), Berthold Leibinger Innovation Prize (Germany: 2010), and David Richardson Medal of Optica (USA: 2021).
His research is focused on the development of novel technologies for the generation and manipulation of coherent light in new spectral and temporal domains inaccessible to conventional lasers. The main goal is the exploitation of nonlinear optics, in particular parametric processes, to produce laser radiation with unique spectral and temporal flexibility, and applications of this technology to biomedicine, frequency synthesis, spectroscopy, optical microscopy and imaging. Another important focus of his research is commercial enterprise and technology transfer to the industrial sector, where he has successfully transformed his reserach results into cutting-edge photonic products through Radiantis, the first spin-off company from ICFO founded in Barcelona in 2005. Today, Radiantis is a leading manufacturer of state-of-the-art frequency conversion technology in the world, and a certified supplier to one of the major laser companies in the world.
- Sharma V, Chaitanya Kumar S, Samanta G & Ebrahim-Zadeh M 2022, 'Tunable, high-power, high-order optical vortex beam generation in the mid-infrared', Optics Express, 27:30(2):1195-1204.
- Nandy Biplob, Chaitanya Kumar S & Ebrahim-Zadeh M 2022, 'Yb-fiber-pumped high-average-power picosecond optical parametric oscillator tunable across 1.3-1.5 um', Optics Express, vol. 30, no. 10, 16340-16350.
- Ebrahim-Zadeh M, Helmy AS, Leo G & Schunemann PG 2022, 'Mid-infrared coherent sources and applications: introduction', Journal Of The Optical Society Of America B-optical Physics, 39, 12, MIC1 - MIC1.
- Kumar V, Sharma V, Singh S, Chaitanya Kumar S, Forbes A, Ebrahim-Zadeh M & Samanta GK 2022, 'Imaging inpsired characterization of single photons carrying orbital angular momentum', AVS Quantum Science, 4, 015001.
Selected research activities
- Associate Editor, Optica, USA
- Guest Editor, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, USA
- General Chair: Mid-Infrared Coherent Sources, MICS 2022, Budapest, Hungary
- Selection Committee, 20th Anniversary Challenge, Optica Foundation, USA
- Selection Committee: IEEE Laser Instrumentation Award, IEEE Photonics Society, USA
- Steering Committee: International Advanced Fiber Laser Conference (AFL 2022), China
- Technical Committee, International Commission for Optics, ICO-25-OWLS World Congress, Dresden, Germany
- Expert Evaluator, ERC Consolider Grant, Brussels, Belgium
- Expert Panel, European Science Foundation, Brussels, Belgium
- Expert Panel: Research Council of Lithuania, Lithuania
- Expert Evaluator, Research Council of Romania, Romania
- Invited talk, VII Ultrafast Dynamics and Metastability & Ultrafast Bandgap Photonics Conference, Hersonissos, Crete, Greece