J.R. Galán-Mascarós received his PhD from University of Valencia under the supervision of Prof. E. Coronado (1999). Between 1999 and 2002 he was post-doctoral researcher at Texas A&M University working with Prof. Kim R. Dunbar. In 2002 he joined ICMOL (U. de Valencia) as Ramón y Cajal Fellow. In 2009 he took a position at ICIQ, where he currently leads a research group focused on future applications of coordination chemistry for Renewable Energies and Materials Sciences. In september 2010 he became ICREA Research Professor. Galán-Mascarós has received several awards, including the Excellence in Research Award by the RSEQ (2019), the Olivier Kahn International Award (2008) and an ERC Starting Grant (2012-2016). He is the coordinator of the collaborative project H2020-FETPROACT A-LEAF (2017-2020): a major European public investment for the realization of a viable artificial photosynthesis platform.
Our research team is devoted to the development of novel materials with the desired chemical and physical properties for applications in the fields of Materials Sciences and Renewable energies. In Renewable Energies, we are working in the development of stable, efficient and low-cost new catalysts and platforms for the production of solar fuels. In Materials Sciences, we are designing multifunctional smart materials able to exhibit novel phenomena from unusual combination of physical properties (redox, magnetic, electrical and/or optical, etc…).
– Moss B, Hegner FS, Corby S, Selim S, Francas L, Lopez N, Gimenez S, Galan-Mascaros JR & Durrant JR 2019, ‘Unraveling Charge Transfer in CoFe Prussian Blue Modified BiVO4 Photoanodes’, ACS Energy Lett. vol. 4, pp 337-342.
– Garces-Pineda FA, Blasco-Ahicart M, Nieto-Castro D, Lopez N & Galan-Mascaros JR 2019 ‘Direct magnetic enhancement of electrocatalytic water oxidation in alkaline media’, Nat. Energy, vol. 4, pp 519-525.
– Garces-Pineda FA, Gonzalez-Cobos J, Torrens M & Galan-Mascaros JR 2019, ‘Fluorine-Doped Tin Oxide/Alumina as Long-Term Robust Conducting Support for Earth-Abundant Water Oxidation Electrocatalysts’, ChemElectroChem, vol. 6, 2282-2289.
– Haider A, Bassil BS, Soriano-Lopez J, Qasim HM, Saenz de Pipaon C, Ibrahim M, Dutta D, Koo YS, Carbo JJ, Poblet JM, Galan-Mascaros JR & Kortz U 2019, ‘9-Cobalt(II)-Containing 27-Tungsto-3-germanate(IV): Synthesis, Structure, Computational Modeling, and Heterogeneous Water Oxidation Catalysis’, Inorg. Chem., vol. 58, 11308-11316.
– Corella-Ochoa MN, Tapia JB, Rubin HN, Lillo V, González-Cobos J, Núñez-Rico JL, Balestra SRG, Almora-Barrios N, Lledós M, Gúell-Bara A, Cabezas-Giménez J, Escudero-Adán EC, Vidal-Ferran A, Calero S, Reynolds M, Martí-Gastaldo C & Galan-Mascaros JR 2019, ‘Homochiral metal-organic frameworks for enantioselective separation in liquid chromatography’, J. Am. Chem. Soc., vol. 141, pp 14306-14316.
Selected research activities
Galan-Mascaros JR 2019, ‘Z = 55, cesio, Cs el elemento que define el tiempo (y el espacio) en la era atómica’, An. Quim., vol. 115, pp 117.