J.R. Galan-Mascaros received a PhD from University of Valencia under the supervision of Prof. E. Coronado (1999). Between 1999 and 2002 JR was post-doctoral researcher at Texas A&M University working with Prof. Kim R. Dunbar. In 2002 joined ICMOL (U. de Valencia) as Ramón y Cajal Fellow. In 2009, Galan-Mascaros took a position at ICIQ, where currently leads a research group focused on future applications of inorganic materials for Renewable Energies and sustainable chemistry. In september 2010 he became ICREA Research Professor. Galan-Mascaros has received several awards, including the Excellence in Research Award by the RSEQ (2019), the Olivier Kahn International Award (2008) and an ERC Starting Grant (2012-2016). JR coordinated the collaborative project H2020-FETPROACT A-LEAF (2017-2021): a major European public investment for the realization of a viable artificial photosynthesis platform.
Our research team is devoted to the development of alternative inorganic materials with the desired chemical and physical properties for applications in the fields of Renewable energy and circular economy. In Renewable Energies, we are working in the development of stable, efficient and low-cost new catalysts and platforms for the production of solar fuels. In Materials Sciences, we are designing new materials and processess for viable carbon capture and utilization.
- Yu J, Garces-Pineda FA, Gonzalez-Cobos J, Pena-Diaz M, Rogero C, Gimenez S, Spadaro MCm Arbiol J, Barja S & Galan-Mascaros JR 2022, 'Sustainable oxygen evolution electrocatalysis in aqueous 1 M H2SO4 with earth abundant nanostructured Co3O4', Nat. Commun. 13, 1, 4341.
- Gonzalez-Galan C, de Fez-Febre M, Giancola S, Gonzalez-Cobos J, Vidal-Ferran A, Galan-Mascaros JR, Balestra SRG & Calero S 2022 'Separation of Volatile Organic Compounds in TAMOF-1', ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 14, 27, 30772-30785.
- Gonzalez-Cobos J, Rodriguez-Garcia B, Torrens M, Alonso-Almirall O, Aliaguilla M, Gali D, Gutierrez-Tauste D, Galindo-Anguera M, Garces-Pineda FA & Galan-Mascaros JR 2022 'An Autonomous Device for Solar Hydrogen Production from Sea Water', Water, 14, 3, 453.
- Liang Y, Banjac K, Martin, K, Zigon, M, Lee S, Vanthuyne N, Garces-Pineda FA, Galan-Mascaros JR, Hu X, Avarvari N & Lingenfelder M 2022, 'Enhancement of electrocatalytic oxygen evolution by chiral molecular functionalization of hybrid 2D electrodes', Nat. Commun. 13, 1, 3356
- Eriksson B, Asset T, Spanu F, Lecoeur F, Dupont M, Garces-Pineda FA, Galan-Mascaros JR, Cavaliere S, Roziere J & Jaouen F 2022 'Mitigation of Carbon Crossover in CO2 Electrolysis by Use of Bipolar Membranes', J. Electrochem. Soc. 169, 3, 034508.
- Hegner FS, Galan-Mascaros JR & Lopez N 2022 'Lowering the Water Oxidation Overpotential by Spin-Crossover in Cobalt Hexacyanoferrate', J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 13, 18, 4104-4110.