Patrick Gamez received his PhD at the University of Lyon and was awarded the French Chemical Society Prize for his PhD research. After postdoctoral stays at the MPI für Kohlenforschung and at the University of Strasbourg, he became research associate at Leiden University. Since October 2010, he is ICREA Research Professor in bioinorganic chemistry at the Universitat de Barcelona. His research group is financed by the MICINN and is recognized by the Catalan Government. He is the (co-)author of over 242 publications (h-index: 54; >12000 citations). He is a member of the Spanish Bioinorganic Chemical Society (AEBIN), the Society of Biological Inorganic Chemistry (SBIC), the RSC, the RSEQ and the Advisory Board of Inorganic Chemistry Frontiers (IF = 5.934). He has been Associate Editor of RSC Advances (2015-2017). Since June 2016, he is Fellow of the RSC.
Cancer and Alzheimer’s disease (AD) represent two major chronic diseases that are in the top ten leading causes of mortality worldwide and their incidence will increase exponentially in the coming decades, as the result of population ageing. My current research interests are aimed at developing novel Nanotechnology strategies for the development of efficient diagnostic and therapeutic tools (theranostics; drug delivery and detection) against these two important public health issues (www.nanobic.eu).
– Vázquez G, Caballero AB, Kokinda J, Hijano A, Sabaté R & Gamez P 2019, ‘Copper, dityrosine cross-links and amyloid-β aggregation‘, Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 24, pp 1217-1229.
– Caballero AB, Espargarò A, Pont C, Busquets MA, Estelrich J, Muñoz-Torrero D, Gamez P & Sabate R 2019, ‘Bacterial Inclusion Bodies for Anti-Amyloid Drug Discovery: Current and Future Screening Methods‘, Current Protein & Peptide Science, 20, 6, 563 – 576.
– Espargaro A, Pont C, Gamez P, Munoz-Torrero D & Sabate R 2019, ‘Amyloid Pan-inhibitors: One Family of Compounds To Cope with All Conformational Diseases‘, Acs Chemical Neuroscience, 10, 3, 1311 – 1317.
– Censi V, Caballero AB, Pérez-Hernández M, Soto-Cerrato V, Korrodi-Gregório L, Pérez-Tomás R, Dell’Anna MM, Mastrorilli P & Gamez P 2019, ‘DNA-binding and in vitro cytotoxic activity of platinum(II) complexes of curcumin and caffeine‘, Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, vol. 198, pp 110749.
Selected research activities
- Visiting professor at Sofia University (Bulgaria)
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the network HC3A between Occitanie and Catalonia (website)
- Organizer at BioLugo (website)
- President of the Association Science Squared (www.sci2.org)
- Editor-in-chief of Chemistry Squared (www.chem2.org)
- Founder of Physics Squared (www.phys2.org)
- Vice-president of the Spanish Bioinorganic Chemical Society (www.aebin.es)
- Evaluator for various national and international research agencies, namely the AEI (Spain), Hcéres (France), RSC-FLAIR (UK), and the Alzheimer’s Society (UK)
- Member of two PhD defense committees
- Three invited talks and two invited seminars