Patrick Gamez received his PhD at the University of Lyon and was awarded the French Chemical Society Prize for his PhD research. After postdoctoral stays at the MPI für Kohlenforschung and at the University of Strasbourg, he became research associate at Leiden University. Since October 2010, he is ICREA Research Professor in bioinorganic chemistry at the Universitat de Barcelona. He is currently coordinating the nanoBIC research group, which is financed by the MICINN and recognized by the Catalan Government. He is the (co-)author of over 252 publications. He is member of the Spanish Bioinorganic Chemical Society (AEBIN), the Society of Biological Inorganic Chemistry (SBIC), the RSC and the RSEQ. He is member of the Advisory Board of Inorganic Chemistry Frontiers and has been Associate Editor of RSC Advances (2015-2017). In June 2016, he became Fellow of the RSC and, since June 2022, he is the elected president of the AEBIN.
Cancer and Alzheimer's disease (AD) represent two major chronic diseases that are in the top ten leading causes of mortality worldwide and their incidence will increase exponentially in the coming decades, as the result of population ageing. His current research interests are aimed at applying novel photochemical and nanotechnological strategies for the development of efficient diagnostic and therapeutic tools (for theranostic, drug delivery, photochemotherapeutic applications) against these two important public health issues (www.nanobic.eu).
- Alvarez-Berbel I, Espargaro A, Viayna A, Caballero AB, Busquets MA, Gamez P, Luque FJ & Sabate R2022, 'Three to Tango: Inhibitory Effect of Quercetin and Apigenin on Acetylcholinesterase, Amyloid-beta Aggregation and Acetylcholinesterase-Amyloid Interaction', Pharmaceutics, 14, 11, 2342.
- Caballero AB, Gamez P, Sabate R & Espargaró A 2022, Anti-Amyloid Drug Screening Methods Using Bacterial Inclusion Bodies, in Véronique Arluison et al. (eds.), Bacterial Amyloids: Methods and Protocols, Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 2538, 12, pp 165-188
- Spinelli G, Caballero AB & Gamez P 2022, 'Nanotechnological approaches to address photosensitizers' limitations: towards improved clinical applicability of photodynamic therapy' Chemistry Squared, vol. 6, 2.
Selected research activities
- President founder of the Association Science Squared (www.sci2.org) and editor-in-chief of the open-access journal Chemistry Squared (www.chem2.org).
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the network HC3A between Occitanie and Catalonia (website); Leader of Work Group 4
- President of the Spanish Bioinorganic Chemical Society (www.aebin.es).
- Member of three PhD defense committees.
- Invited lecturer in 3 international and 1 national conferences.
- Member of the organizing committees of 3 international (HC3A, ICCC2022 and RSEQ-Granada 2022) and 1 national (BioMadrid 2022) meetings.