Born in 1970 in Terrassa (Barcelona). Graduated in physics in 1993 at the Univ. Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB). Obtained PhD in experimental particle physics in 1998 at the Institut de Física d'Altes Energies (IFAE) at the UAB, studying electron-positron collisions in the ALEPH experiment at the LEP Collider at CERN. Moved to Chicago (USA) in 1998, to study proton-antiproton collisions at the energy frontier in the D0 experiment at the Fermilab Tevatron Collider, first as a Research Associate (1998-2002), then as a Wilson Fellow (tenure-track position, 2002-2006) and eventually as staff scientist (2006-2009). At D0 held a number of leadership positions in physics (convener of Top and Higgs groups), algorithms (convener of Jet Energy Scale and Jet Energy Resolution groups) and upper management (physics coordinator). Since November 2009, ICREA Research Professor at IFAE, studying proton-proton collisions with the ATLAS experiment at CERN's Large Hadron Collider (LHC).
My research is focused on accelerator-based experimental particle physics, aiming at achieving an understanding on how Nature operates at the most fundamental level. In particular, unraveling the mechanism of electroweak symmetry breaking and mass generation, as well as searching for new physics phenomena, are the main goals of my research. At the LHC I am carrying out studies on the heaviest known elementary particle, the top quark, as well as on the recently-discovered Higgs boson, seeking connections in the dynamics that govern both particles. I am also searching for beyond the Standard Model (SM) physics, such as supersymmetric partners of SM particles, exotic heavy quarks appearing in composite Higgs models or models with extra spatial dimensions, and additional Higgs bosons revealing an extended Higgs sector. Since 2016, I lead a team of over 20 scientists from IFAE-Barcelona that analyzes the data from the ATLAS experiment.
– Alvarez E, Juste A & Sandá RM 2019, ‘Four-top as probe of light top-philic New Physics’, JHEP, 12, 080.
– ATLAS Collab. 2019, ‘Search for heavy particles decaying into a top-quark pair in the fully hadronic final state in pp collisions at sqrt(s)=13 TeV with the ATLAS detector’, Phys. Rev. D, 99, 092004.
– ATLAS Collab. 2019, ‘Search for top-quark decays t->Hq with 36/fb of pp collision data at sqrt(s)=13 TeV with the ATLAS detector’, JHEP, 05, 123.
Selected research activities
* Principal investigator of the ATLAS group at IFAE (21 members).
* 2019 High Energy and Particle Physics Prize of the European Physical Society: awarded to the CDF and D0 Collaborations for the discovery of the top quark and the detailed measurement of its properties. Played a leading role in this program at D0 (Convener of the Top and JES groups, Physics Coordinator).
* Member of the ATLAS Speakers Committee (Deputy Chair: Apr-Sep 2019, Chair: Oct 2019-Mar 2020).
* Referee for the Research Grants Council of Hong Kong.
* Editor of Advances in High Energy Physics and Journal of Particle Physics.
* Supervisor of four PhD theses and one Master thesis (all ongoing).
* Lectures on Standard Model phenomenology at IFAE/UAB Master.
* Seminars at UC-UIMP Master, IFCA, Santander, May 2, 2019, and BIST-UPF Master, UPF, Barcelona, Oct 15, 2019.
* Colloquia at DESY, Hamburg and DESY, Zeuthen, Germany, Jun 25-26, 2019.
Plenary addresses at:
* ATLAS HTop Workshop, DESY, Hamburg, Germany, Apr 15-17, 2019.
* 4th NPKI Workshop: Searching for New Physics on the Horizon, Seoul, Republic of Korea, May 12-17, 2019.
* ATLAS Exotics and HDBS Joint Workshop, Naples, Italy, Jun 11-14, 2019.
* Chair: Light scalars: origin, cosmology, astrophysics and experimental probes, CCBPP, Benasque, Spain, Apr 7-13, 2019.
* Program Committee: 15th Rencontres du Vietnam: Behind and Beyond the Standard Model at the LHC, Future Colliders and Elsewhere, Quy Nhon, Vietnam, Sep 15-21, 2019.