Born in 1970 in Terrassa (Barcelona). Graduated in physics in 1993 at the Univ. Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB). Obtained PhD in experimental particle physics in 1998 at the Institut de Física d'Altes Energies (IFAE) at the UAB, studying electron-positron collisions in the ALEPH experiment at the LEP Collider at CERN. Moved to Chicago (USA) in 1998, to study proton-antiproton collisions at the energy frontier in the D0 experiment at the Fermilab Tevatron Collider, first as a Research Associate (1998-2002), then as a Wilson Fellow (tenure-track position, 2002-2006) and eventually as staff scientist (2006-2009). At D0 held a number of leadership positions in physics (convener of Top and Higgs groups), algorithms (convener of Jet Energy Scale and Jet Energy Resolution groups) and upper management (physics coordinator). Since November 2009, ICREA Research Professor at IFAE, studying proton-proton collisions with the ATLAS experiment at CERN's Large Hadron Collider (LHC).
My research is focused on accelerator-based experimental particle physics, aiming at achieving an understanding on how Nature operates at the most fundamental level. At the LHC I am carrying out studies on the heaviest known elementary particle, the top quark, as well as on the Higgs boson, seeking connections in the dynamics that govern both particles. I am also searching for new phenomena, such as supersymmetric partners of Standard Model particles, exotic heavy quarks appearing in composite Higgs models or models with extra spatial dimensions, or additional Higgs bosons revealing an extended Higgs sector. Since 2016, I lead a team of over 20 scientists from IFAE that analyzes the data from the ATLAS experiment. Between October 2020 and September 2022 I was convener of the ATLAS Exotics working group, leading a team of about 600 scientists pursuing a broad program of new phenomena searches at the energy frontier.
- Jiang X-H, Juste A, Li Y-Y & Liu T 2022, “Detecting new physics as novelty - Complementarity matters”, JHEP, 10, 085.
- ATLAS Collab. 2022, “Measurement of Higgs boson decay into b-quarks in associated production with a top-quark pair in pp collisions at 13 TeV with the ATLAS detector”, JHEP, 06, 097.
- ATLAS Collab. 2022, “Search for invisible Higgs-boson decays in events with vector-boson fusion signatures using 139 fb-1 of proton-proton data recorded by the ATLAS experiment”, JHEP, 08, 104.
- ATLAS Collab. 2022, “Search for type-III seesaw heavy leptons in leptonic final states in pp collisions at 13 TeV with the ATLAS detector”, Eur. Phys. J. C, 82, 988.
- ATLAS Collab. 2022, “Search for lepton-flavor-violation in Z-boson decays with tau-leptons with the ATLAS detector”, Phys. Rev. Lett., 127, 271801.
- ATLAS Collab. 2022, “Search for neutral long-lived particles in pp collisions at 13 TeV that decay into displaced hadronic jets in the ATLAS calorimeter”, JHEP, 06, 005.
Selected research activities
- Principal investigator of the ATLAS group at IFAE (22 members).
- Convener of the ATLAS Exotics working group (~600 members; Oct 2020-Sep 2022).
- External expert for the AEI (Spain), RGC (Hong Kong), and CFMA/FONCyT (Republica Argentina).
- Supervisor of one PhD thesis and one Master thesis (completed).
- Lectures on Standard Model Phenomenology at the Postgraduate Program in HEP, Astrophysics and Cosmology, UAB/IFAE/ICE.
- Seminar at the BIST-UPF Master, UPF, Barcelona, Oct 3, 2022.
Plenary addresses at:
- Is there still room for Naturalness?, Nordita, Stockholm, Sweden, Apr 19-29, 2022.
- 6th Red LHC Workshop, IFT, Madrid, Spain, May 9-11, 2022.
- Electroweak Precision Physics from Beta Decays to the Z Pole, MITP, Mainz, Germany, Oct 24-28, 2022.
- XIV CPAN Days, Bilbao, Spain, Nov 23-25, 2022.
- Chair: ATLAS Exotics Workshop 2022, Amsterdan, The Netherlands, Sep 26-230 2022.