Dr. Marquès-Bonet is the Principal Investigator of the group "Comparative Genomics" and director of the Institute of Evolutionary Biology (IBE; UPF/CSIC) and at the CRG-CNAG. He started his own lab in 2010 with an ERC Starting Grant and was selected as ICREA in 2011. In 2013 he was selected for the EMBO young Investigator award. Starting on 2017 he is an HHMI International young investigator. His group aims to characterize human specific genomics features, including the combination of evolution and conservation genetics. With a total of more than 160 peer-reviewed publications, he has published as a senior authorship in Science (2016,2020), Nature (2013;2019), Genome Research (2015,2021), Plos Genetics (2013,2015) among others. He was director of the Institute of Evolutionary Biology (UPF-CSIC), 2017-2020. He was awarded with an ERC Consolidator 2019.
What makes us human? This is a fundamental question in many disciplines. Our team analyzes a wide range of genome variants to determine processes, variants and molecular features that are intrinsic to our species. To do so, we study full genome, epigenomes and transcriptomic sequences of humans and great apes for a better understanding of human specific features.
- Ferrández-Peral L, Zhan X, Alvarez-Estape M, et al. 2022, 'Transcriptome innovations in primates revealed by single-molecule long-read sequencing', Genome Research, 32, 8, 1448 - 1462.
- Formenti G, Theissinger K, Fernandes C, et al. 2022, 'The era of reference genomes in conservation genomics', Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 37(3), 197-202.
- Lawniczak MKN, Durbin R, Flicek P, et al. 2022, 'Standards recommendations for the earth BioGenome project', Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 119 (4), e2115639118.
- Fontsere C, Kuhlwilm M, Morcillo-Suarez C, et al. 2022, 'Population dynamics and genetic connectivity in recent chimpanzee history', Cell Genomics, 2(6), 100133.
- Lewin HA et al. 2022, 'The Earth BioGenome Project 2020: Starting the clock', Proceedings Of The National Academy Of Sciences Of The United States Of America, 119, 4, e2115635118.
- Palmada-Flores M, Orkin JD, Haase B, et al. 2022, 'A high-quality, long-read genome assembly of the endangered ring-tailed lemur (Lemur catta)', Gigascience, 11, giac026.
- Ruiz-Gartzia I, Lizano E, Marques-Bonet T & Kelley JL 2022, 'Recovering the genomes hidden in museum wet collections', Molecular Ecology Resources, 22, 6, 2127 - 2129.