I obtained a Ph.D. in Biophysics from the UAB where I worked on protein folding under the supervision of Professors B. Oliva, F.X. Avilés and M. Karplus (Nobel Laureate in 2013). After that, I went to the US for a postdoctoral training on protein structure modeling at the Sali Lab (Rockefeller University) as the recipient of the Burroughs Wellcome Fund fellowship. Later on, I was appointed Assistant Adjunct Professor at UCSF. Between 2006 and 2011, I headed the Structural Genomics Group at the CIPF in Valencia (Spain). Since October 2013, I am ICREA Research Professor and lead the Structural Genomics Group at the CNAG-CRG. Our group is broadly interested on how RNA, proteins and genomes organize and regulate cell fate. I have published over 100 articles in international peer-reviewed journals with over 10000 citations (Google Scholar indexed).
How biomolecules fold and function in a three-dimensional space is one of the most challenging questions in biology. For example, we have limited knowledge on how the 2-meter-long DNA molecule folds in the micro-sized nucleus or how RNA, proteins and small chemical compounds fold and interact to perform their most basic functions of the cell. Our research group employ the laws of physics and the rules of evolution to develop and apply experimental and computational methods for predicting the 3D structures of macromolecules and their complexes.
– Spill YG, Castillo D, Vidal E & Marti-Renom MA 2019, ‘Binless normalization of Hi-C data provides significant interaction and difference detection independent of resolution.’, Nature Communications, 10, 1, 1938 – 1938.
– Cuadrado A, Gimenez-Llorente D, Kojic A, Rodriguez-Corsino M, Cuartero Y, Martin-Serrano G, Gomez-Lopez G, Marti-Renom MA & Losada A, 2019, ‘Specific Contributions of Cohesin-SA1 and Cohesin-SA2 to TADs and Polycomb Domains in Embryonic Stem Cells’, Cell Reports, 27, 12, 3500 – +.
– Miguel-Escalada I, et al., Marti-Renom MA, Fraser P, Ferrer J 2019, ‘Human pancreatic islet three-dimensional chromatin architecture provides insights into the genetics of type 2 diabetes’, Nature Genetics, 51, 7, 1137 – +.
– Morf J, Wingett SW, Farabella I, Cairns J, Furlan-Magaril M, Jimenez-Garcia LF, Liu X, Craig FF, Walker S, Segonds-Pichon A, Andrews S, Marti-Renom MA & Fraser P 2019, ‘RNA proximity sequencing reveals the spatial organization of the transcriptome in the nucleus’, Nature Biotechnology, 37, 7, 793 – +.
– Vara C, Paytuvi-Gallart A, Cuartero Y, Le Dily F, Garcia F, Salva-Castro J, Gomez-H L, Julia E, Moutinho C, Aiese Cigliano R, Sanseverino W, Fornas O, Pendas AM, Heyn H, Waters PD, Marti-Renom MA & Ruiz-Herrera A 2019, ‘Three-Dimensional Genomic Structure and Cohesin Occupancy Correlate with Transcriptional Activity during Spermatogenesis’, Cell Reports, 28, 2, 352 – +.