I obtained a Ph.D. in Biophysics from the UAB where I worked on protein folding under the supervision of Professors B. Oliva, F.X. Avilés and M. Karplus (Nobel Laureate in 2013). After that, I went to the US for a postdoctoral training on protein structure modeling at the Sali Lab (Rockefeller University) as the recipient of the Burroughs Wellcome Fund fellowship. Later on, I was appointed Assistant Adjunct Professor at UCSF. Between 2006 and 2011, I headed the Structural Genomics Group at the CIPF in Valencia (Spain). Since October 2013, I am ICREA Research Professor and lead the Structural Genomics Group at the CNAG-CRG. Our group is broadly interested on how chromatin organizes and regulates cell fate. I have published over 135 articles in international peer-reviewed journals with over 20,000 citations (Google Scholar indexed).
How biomolecules fold and function in a three-dimensional space is one of the most challenging questions in biology. For example, we have limited knowledge on how the 2-meter-long DNA molecule folds in the micro-sized nucleus or how RNA, proteins and small chemical compounds fold and interact to perform their most basic functions of the cell. Our research group employ the laws of physics and the rules of evolution to develop and apply experimental and computational methods for predicting the 3D structures of macromolecules and their complexes.
- Galan S, Serra F & Marti-Renom MA 2022, 'Identification of chromatin loops from Hi-C interaction matrices by CTCF-CTCF topology classification', NAR Genomics And Bioinformatics, 4, 1, lqac021.
- Serna-Pujol N, Salinas-Pena M, Mugianesi F, Le Dily F, Marti-Renom MA & Jordan A 2022, 'Coordinated changes in gene expression, H1 variant distribution and genome 3D conformation in response to H1 depletion', Nucleic Acids Research, 50, 7, 3892 - 3910.
- Mas G, Santoro F, Blanco E, et al. 2022, "In vivo temporal resolution of acute promyelocytic leukemia progression reveals a role of Klf4 in suppressing early leukemic transformation" Genes & Development, 36(7-8), 451-467.
- Álvarez-González L, Arias-Sardá C, Montes-Espuña L, et al. 2022, "Principles of 3D chromosome folding and evolutionary genome reshuffling in mammals" Cell Reports, 41(12), 111839.
- Vilarrasa-Blasi R, Verdaguer-Dot N, Belver L, et al. 2022, "Insights into the mechanisms underlying aberrant SOX11 oncogene expression in mantle cell lymphoma", Leukemia, 36(2):583-587.