In 2001, I obtained my PhD in Biochemistry from the University of Navarra on genetics of lymphoid neoplasms under the supervision of Prof. Maria J Calasanz and co-supervision of Prof. Reiner Siebert from the Christian-Albrechts University of Kiel. After that, I continued my studies on lymphoma genetics as postdoctoral fellow with Prof. Siebert. In 2005, I became interested in the field of epigenomics and in 2009 I came back to Spain. After a short stay at the IDIBELL, I went to the UB/IDIBAPS to start my career as independent researcher embedded in the group of Prof. Elias Campo. In 2016, I was appointed Junior Leader of the Biomedical Epigenomics group at the IDIBAPS and from November 2018 I am ICREA Research Professor at the IDIBAPS. I also have an appointment as associate professor at the UB. Our group is interested in the role of epigenetics in the origin, evolution and clinical manifestations of lymphoid tumors.
Understanding the molecular mechamisms underlying cancer initiation and evolution is an academically extiting question and has important translational implications for affected patients. In this global context, our group uses epigenomics to study the causes and consequences of corrupted transcriptional programs in a variety of lymphoid tumors. In the last years, we have performed detailed multi-omics characterization of normal and neoplastic B cells. In the next phase of our research program, we are mostly focusing on i) the role of enhancers and transcription factors as major modulators of the transcriptional landscape, ii) describing the cellular architecture of normal B cell differentiation and in the evolution of B cell tumors using single cell technologies, and iii) translating epigenomic information to better diagnose B cell tumors according to their biological basis and clinical risk as well as to generate novel therapeutic targets.
- Knisbacher BA, Lin Z, Hahn CK, et al. 2022, 'Molecular map of chronic lymphocytic leukemia and its impact on outcome', Nat Genet, 54(11):1664-1674.
- Robbe P, Ridout KE, Vavoulis DV, et al. 2022, 'Whole-genome sequencing of chronic lymphocytic leukemia identifies subgroups with distinct biological and clinical features', Nat Genet, 54(11):1675-1689.
- Nadeu F, Royo R, Massoni-Badosa R, Playa-Albinyana H, Garcia-Torre B, ...[47 authors]... Martín-Subero JI, Campo E 2022, 'Detection of early seeding of Richter transformation in chronic lymphocytic leukemia'. Nat Med. 28(8):1662-1671.
- Mangolini M, Maiques-Diaz A, Charalampopoulou S, et al. 2022, 'Viral transduction of primary human lymphoma B cells reveals mechanisms of NOTCH-mediated immune escape', Nat Commun, 13(1), 6220.
- Vilarrasa-Blasi R, Verdaguer-Dot N, Belver L, Soler-Vila P, Beekman R, Chapaprieta V, Kulis M, Queirós AC, Parra M, Calasanz MJ, Agirre X, Prosper F, Beà S, Colomer D, Marti-Renom MA, Ferrando A, Campo E, Martin-Subero JI 2022, 'Insights into the mechanisms underlying aberrant SOX11 oncogene expression in mantle cell lymphoma'. Leukemia. 36(2):583-587.
Selected research activities
- Member of the Scientific advisory board of the Lymph&Co foundation.
- Faculty member of the internatinal mentoring programs "Translational Research Training in Hematology" and "Computational Biology Training in Hematology"
- 4 active grants (ERC Synergy, Accelerator Award, Marato de TV3 and plan nacional).