Born in L'Escala (Girona) in 1976. He graduated in chemistry at the Universitat de Girona and obtained his PhD in materials science at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona & Institut de Ciència de Materials de Barcelona. He then moved to Northwestern University, where he worked as a postdoctoral fellow in the group of professor Chad A. Mirkin. He moved back to the Institut Català de Nanotecnologia (ICN) thanks to a Ramón y Cajal contract, where he founded the Supramolecular NanoChemistry & Materials Group. Since September 2011 he is ICREA Research Professor and Group Leader at the Institut Català de Nanociència i Nanotecnologia (ICN2). He is a recipient of European Research Council (ERC) Consolidator and PoC Grants.
My research interests are focused on controlling the assembly -Supramolecular Chemistry- of molecules, metal ions and nanoparticles for the creation of functional nanostructured materials -Nanotechnology- with empty spaces; and use them to encapsulate, store, separate, react and deliver molecules of interest. My main contributions are in the fields of nanoporous Metal-Organic Frameworks (MOFs), Covalent-Organic Frameworks (COFs), Metal-Organic Polyhedra (MOPs) and Delivery Systems for applications in myriad areas, including Energy (e.g. gas storage), Catalysis, the Environment (e.g. pollutant removal, CO2 storage), Encapsulation (e.g. long-lasting fragrances), and Life Science –Medicine and animals health– (e.g. drug-delivery systems and contrast agents).
– Carné-Sánchez A, Craig GA, Larpent P, Guillerm V, Urayama K, Maspoch D & urukawa S 2019, ‘A coordinative solubilizer method to fabricate soft porous materials from insoluble metal-organic polyhedra’, Angewandte Chemie-international Edition, vol. 58, no. 19, pp 6347 – 6350.
– Garzon-Tovar L, Perez-Carvajal J, Yazdi A, Hernandez-Munoz J, Tarazona P, Imaz I, Zamora F & Maspoch D 2019, ‘A MOF@COF composite with enhanced uptake through interfacial pore generation‘, Angewandte Chemie-international Edition, vol. 58, no. 28, pp 9512 – 9516.
– Troyano J, Carné-Sánchez A & Maspoch D 2019, ‘Programmable self-assembling 3D architectures generated by patterning of swellable MOF-based composite films’, Advanced Materials, vol. 31, no. 21, pp 1808235.
– Pérez-Carvajal J, Boix G, Imaz I & Maspoch D 2019, ‘The imine-based COF TpPa-1 as an efficient cooling adsorbent that can be regenerated by heat or light’, Advanced Energy Materials, 9, pp 1901535.
– Guillerm V & Maspoch D 2019, ‘Geometry mismatch and reticular chemistry: strategies to assemble metal-organic frameworks with non-default topologies’, Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 141, no. 42, pp 16517 – 16538.
– Grancha T, Carne-Sanchez A, Hernandez-Lopez L, Albalad J, Imaz I, Juanhuix J & Maspoch D 2019, ‘Phase transfer of rhodium(II)-based metal-organic polyhedra bearing coordinatively bound cargo enables molecular separation’, Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 141, no. 45, pp 18349 – 18355.
– Carné-Sánchez A, Albalad J, Grancha T, Imaz I, Juanhuix J, Larpent P, Furukawa S & Maspoch D 2019, ‘Postsynthetic covalent and coordination functionalization of rhodium(II)-based metal-organic polyhedra’, Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 141, no. 9, pp 4094 – 4102.
Selected research activities
ERC Proof-of-Concept Grant