Born in L'Escala (Girona) in 1976. He graduated in chemistry at the Universitat de Girona and obtained his PhD in materials science at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona & Institut de Ciència de Materials de Barcelona. He then moved to Northwestern University, where he worked as a postdoctoral fellow in the group of professor Chad A. Mirkin. He moved back to the Institut Català de Nanotecnologia (ICN) thanks to a Ramón y Cajal contract, where he founded the Supramolecular NanoChemistry & Materials Group. Since September 2011 he is ICREA Research Professor and Group Leader at the Institut Català de Nanociència i Nanotecnologia (ICN2). He is a recipient of European Research Council (ERC) Advanced, Consolidator and PoC Grants.
My research interests are focused on controlling the assembly -Supramolecular Chemistry- of molecules, metal ions and nanoparticles for the creation of functional nanostructured materials -Nanotechnology- with empty spaces; and use them to encapsulate, store, separate, react and deliver molecules of interest. My main contributions are in the fields of nanoporous Metal-Organic Frameworks (MOFs), Covalent-Organic Frameworks (COFs), Metal-Organic Polyhedra (MOPs) and Delivery Systems for applications in myriad areas, including Energy (e.g. gas storage), Catalysis, the Environment (e.g. pollutant removal, CO2 storage), Encapsulation (e.g. long-lasting fragrances), and Life Science –Medicine and animals health– (e.g. drug-delivery systems and contrast agents).
- Yang Y, Broto-Ribas A, Ortín-Rubio B, Imaz I, Gándara F, Carné-Sánchez A, Guillerm V, Jurado S, Busqué F, Juanhuix J & Maspoch D 2022, 'Clip-off chemistry: synthesis by programmed disassembly of reticular materials', Angewandte Chemie-International Edition, 61(4), e202111228.
- Albalad J, Hernández-López L, Carné-Sánchez A & Maspoch D 2022, 'Surface chemistry of metal-organic polyhedra', Chemical Communications, 58(15), 2443-2454.
- Han X, Boix G, Balcerzak M, Moriones OH, Cano-Sarabia M, Cortés P, Bastús N, Puntes V, Llagostera M, Imaz I & Maspoch D 2022, 'Antibacterial films based on MOF composites that release iodine passively or upon triggering by near-infrared light', Advanced Functional Materials, 32, 19, pp. 2112902.
- Khobotov-Bakishev A, Hernández-López L, von Baeckmann C, Albalad J, Carné-Sánchez A & Maspoch D 2022, 'Metal-organic polyhedra as building blocks for porous extended networks', Advanced Science, 9(11), 2104753.
- Wang J, Liu Y, Bleyer G, et al. 2022, 'Coloration in supraparticles assembled from polyhedral metal-organic framework particles', Angewandte Chemie-International Edition, vol. 61(16), e202117455.
- Khobotov-Bakishev A, von Baeckmann C, Ortín-Rubio B, Hernández-López L, Cortés-Martínez A, Martínez-Esaín J, Gándara F, Juanhuix J, Platero-Prats AE, Faraudo J, Carné-Sánchez A & Maspoch D 2022, 'Multicomponent, functionalized HKUST-1 analogues assembled via reticulation of prefabricated metal-organic polyhedral cavities', Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 144, 34, pp. 15745 - 15753.
Selected research activities
Corresponding Academic Member by the Royal Spanish Academy of Science (RAC)