University Education - 1987 PhD in Chemistry, University of Hamburg, Germany. - 1982 Diploma in Chemistry, University of Hamburg, Germany. Professional Positions - Since 2010 ICREA Research Professor at Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona. - 1998-2009 Full Professor, Saarland University, Germany. - 1990-1998 Assistant Professor, University of Freiburg, Germany. - 1988-1990 Postdoctoral Fellow, Institute Pasteur, Paris, France. - 1987-1988 Postdoctoral Fellow, Institute Biotechnological Research, Braunschweig, Germany.
Infections with non-cytopathic viruses usually have 2 different outcomes. They may be eliminated by host immune responses (acute infections) or they may persist lifelong (persistent infections). Medically important examples are the Hepatitis B virus (HBV), the Human Immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and the Hepatitis C virus (HCV) that in adults usually follow an acute (HBV), a persistent (HIV) or an either acute or persistent (HCV) infection course. My laboratory is interested (i) to understand the factors that regulate the decision between an acute versus a persistent infection course, (ii) to define the factors that control the dynamic balance of virus expansion and immune control in persistent infections, and (iii) to generate quantitative descriptions of the virus/immune system dynamics by mathematical modeling.
– Grebennikov D, Bouchnita A, Volpert V, Bessonov N, Meyerhans A & Bocharov G 2019, ‘Spatial Lymphocyte Dynamics in Lymph Nodes Predicts the Cytotoxic T Cell Frequency Needed for HIV Infection Control’, Frontiers In Immunology, 10, 1213.
– Argilaguet J, Pedragosa M, Esteve-Codina A, Riera G, Vidal E, Peligero-Cruz C, Casella V, Andreu D, Kaisho T, Bocharov G, Ludewig B, Heath S & Meyerhans A 2019, ‘Systems analysis reveals complex biological processes during virus infection fate decisions’, Genome Research, 29, 6, 907 – 919.
– Zheltkova V, Argilaguet J, Peligero C, Bocharov G & Meyerhans A 2019, ‘Prediction of PD-L1 inhibition effects for HIV-infected individuals’, Plos Computational Biology, 15, 11, e1007401.
– Gonzalez-Cao M, Martinez-Picado J, Karachaliou N, Rosell R & Meyerhans A 2019, ‘Cancer immunotherapy of patients with HIV infection’, Clin Transl Oncol. 21, 6, 713 – 720.
– Gomara MJ, Perez Y, Martinez JP, Barnadas-Rodriguez R, Schultz A, von Briesen H, Peralvarez-Marin A, Meyerhans A & Haro I 2019, ‘Peptide Assembly on the Membrane Determines the HIV-1 Inhibitory Activity of Dual-Targeting Fusion Inhibitor Peptides’, Scientific Reports, 9, 3257.
– Pedragosa M, Riera G, Casella B, Esteve-Codina A, Steuerman Y, Seth C, Bocharov G, Heath S, Gat-Viks I, Argilaguet J & Meyerhans A 2019, ‘Linking Cell Dynamics With Gene Coexpression Networks to Characterize Key Events in Chronic Virus Infections’, Frontiers In Immunology, 10, 1002.
Selected research activities
Co-editor for Frontiers in Immunology on a special issue on “Mathematical Modeling of the Immune System in Homeostasis, Infection and Disease”