My research activity was recognized with the prestigious ERC-Starting grant (call 2014) and the ERC Consolidator Grant (call 2020). I received >14 M€ in competitive projects. I published more than 80 papers in peer review journals (Cell, Cell Metabolism, Nature Materials, among others). I combine my research activity being Deputy Director [CMRB:2011-13 and IBEC:2018-today]. From January 2021 I have been selected in a competitive call as Coordinator of the Spanish Platform for Biobanks and Biomodels from the Institute of Health Carlos III (P_ISCIII_BB). From 2021 the P_ISCIII_BB is the national node of the European Infrastructure of research BBMRI-ERIC.
By generating new organoid model systems developing cutting-edge solutions in cell and tissue engineering we study how systemic conditions (i.e., diabetes) and physical constrains (i.e., changes in extracellular matrix) lead to morphogenesis and disease in heart, kidney, retina and brain.
- Garreta E, Prado P, Stanifer ML, et al. 2022, 'A diabetic milieu increases ACE2 expression and cellular susceptibility to SARS-CoV-2 infections in human kidney organoids and patient cells', Cell Metabolism, 34, 6, 857 - 873.
- Garreta E, Moya-Rull D, Stanifer ML, et al. 2022, 'Protocol for SARS-CoV-2 infection of kidney organoids derived from human pluripotent stem cells', STAR Protoc, 16, 3(4), 101872.
- Batlle D, Monteil V, Garreta E, et al. 2022, 'Penninger, Josef M. 2022, 'Evidence in favor of the essentiality of human cell membrane-bound ACE2 and against soluble ACE2 for SARS-CoV-2 infectivity', Cell, 185, 11, 1837 - 1839.
- Bonilla-Pons SÀ, Nakagawa S, Bahima EG, et al. 2022, 'Müller glia fused with adult stem cells undergo neural differentiation in human retinal models', EBioMedicine, 77, 103914.
Selected research activities
- Constantes y Vitales” Young talent award in Biomedical research during its 8th edition.
- More than 200 media appearances in relation to our work and expertise in the area of research
- 2 completed PhD
- Supervision of 4 PhD students
- Supervision of 2 Master students and 6 undergraduated students
- Organization of national workshops (4) and international conferences (2)
- Participation in more than 50 international conferences and workshops during 2022