I obtained a PhD in Environmental Eng. from the UPC in 2005. I was then appointed Mineral Dust Group Leader at the recently created Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC). Thereafter I worked in the US at NOAA/NCEP, IRI, Columbia University and NASA Goddard Institute for Space studies. After obtaining an AXA Chair on Sand and Dust Storms, I re-joined BSC as Head of the Atmospheric Composition Group, AXA Professor on Sand and Dust Storms and Ramon y Cajal Fellow in 2016. In 2017, I was awarded by the Spanish Royal Academy of Engineering the Agustín de Betancourt y Molina prize for young researchers in recognition for my contributions in the field of environmental risks, and I obtained a ERC Consolidator Grant that started in October 2018. I am Co-I of the Earth Surface Mineral Dust Source Investigation, one of the only two Earth Ventures-Instrument missions funded by NASA in 2018. I was appointed ICREA Research Professor in Dec. 2019.
I am interested on understanding atmospheric aerosols and traces gases, from the physical and chemical processes affecting them, to their effects upon weather, climate, ocean biogeochemistry, air quality and health. My research group develops improved representations of pollutants within atmospheric and climate models to characterize their sources, sinks, atmospheric lifecycles and effects. I am known for my work on dust aerosols; in that context, I hold an AXA Chair that tackles both fundamental and applied research questions related to dust and I lead an ERC Consolidator Grant that investigates the role of the dust mineralogical composition in the climate effects of dust based on theory, experimental campaigns, remote spectroscopy and modeling.
- Guevara M, Petetin H, Jorba O, Denier van der Gon H, Kuenen J, Super I, Jalkanen J-P, Majamaki E, Johansson L, Peuch V-H & Perez Garcia-Pando C 2022, 'European primary emissions of criteria pollutants and greenhouse gases in 2020 modulated by the COVID-19 pandemic disruptions', Earth System Science Data, 14, 6, 2521 - 2552.
- Di Tomaso E, Escribano J, Basart S, Ginoux P, et al, Perez Garcia-Pando C 2022, 'The MONARCH high-resolution reanalysis of desert dust aerosol over Northern Africa, the Middle East and Europe (2007-2016)', Earth System Science Data, 14, 6, 2785 - 2816.
- Bowdalo D, Petetin H, Jorba O, Guevara M, Soret A, Bojovic D, Terrado M, Querol X & Perez Garcia-Pando C 2022, 'Compliance with 2021 WHO air quality guidelines across Europe will require radical measures', Environmental Research Letters, 17, 2, 021002.
- Escribano J, Di Tomaso E, Jorba O, Klose M, Goncalves Ageitos M, Macchia F, Amiridis V, Baars H, Marinou E, Proestakis E, Urbanneck C, Althausen D, Buehl J, Mamouri R-E & Perez Garcia-Pando C 2022, 'Assimilating spaceborne lidar dust extinction can improve dust forecasts', Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 22, 1, 535 - 560.
- Gkikas A, Proestakis E, Amiridis V, Kazadzis S, Di Tomaso E, Marinou E, Hatzianastassiou N, Kok JF & Perez Garcia-Pando C 2022, 'Quantification of the dust optical depth across spatiotemporal scales with the MIDAS global dataset (2003-2017)', Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 22, 5, 3553 - 3578.
Selected research activities
- Co-coordination of two dust field campaigns (Mojave Desert, US and Wadi Rum, Jordan) and a cloud chamber experiment in the context of my ERC Grant FRAGMENT
- Co-Investigator of EMIT mission: the NASA EMIT instrument was succesfully lanuched deployed in 2022 the ISS
- Participation in 10+ national and EU projects and contracts
- Co-author of 10 journal papers published, 4 accepted and 9 in review
- Co-author of 27 contributions to conferences