ICREA Research Professor since December 2005. PhD in Chemistry (1995), Faculty of Chemical Engineering and Technology, University of Zagreb, Croatia. From 1999-2011 research scientist at the Department of Environmental Chemistry, Institute for Environmental Assessment and Water Studies (IDAEA-CSIC), Barcelona. Since July 2011 senior researcher at the Catalan Institute for Water Research (ICRA), Girona, Spain. At ICRA she is the head of Water Qualty Area and responsible for the research line Contaminants in water treatment processes. She has published 262 research papers and 31 book chapters, edited 8 books. Her current H-index is 81, with > 20.000 citations. She was included in the ISI Highly Cited in the fields of Chemistry and Environment/Ecology and ranked in the top 1% by citations in 2018 in the field of Environment/Ecology and in 2019 in the cross-field by Clarivate Analytics.
My main expertise is in the field of analytical environmental chemistry, specifically analysis of trace organic contaminants, such as pharmaceuticals, endocrine disrupting compounds and surfactants by advanced mass spectrometric techniques (liquid chromatography-tandem and hybrid MS) and the study of their fate and behaviour in the aquatic environment and during wastewater and drinking water treatment. Specific research lines are: (i) suspect screening, non-target analysis and fingerprinting of organic substances in wastewater and receiving environment, (ii) the study of biotic and abiotic transformation of emerging contaminants, identification of transformation products, elucidation of transformation pathways; (iii) the study of occurrence and distribution of emerging contaminants in aquatic environment and environmental risk assessment and (iv) sustainable wastewater management; application of innovative wastewater treatment technologies; innovative practices for reuse of reclaimed waters.
- Topolovec B, Škoro N, Puаč N & Petrovic M 2022, 'Pathways of organic micropollutants degradation in atmospheric pressure plasma processing - A review', Chemosphere, 294, 133606.
- Zahedi S, Gros M, Casabella O, Petrovic M, Balcazar JL & Pijuan M 2022, 'Occurrence of veterinary drugs and resistance genes during anaerobic digestion of poultry and cattle manures', Sci Total Environ, 822, 153477.
- Zahedi S, Gros M, Petrović M, Balcazar JL & Pijuan M 2022, 'Anaerobic treatment of swine manure under mesophilic and thermophilic temperatures: Fate of veterinary drugs and resistance genes', Science Of The Total Environment, 818, 151697.
- Veseli M, Rožman M, Vilenica M, Petrović M & Previšić A 2022, 'Bioaccumulation and bioamplification of pharmaceuticals and endocrine disruptors in aquatic insects', Sci Total Environ, 838, 2, 156208.
- Senta I, Rodríguez-Mozaz S, Corominas L, Covaci A & Petrovic M 2022, 'Applicability of an on-line solid-phase extraction liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry for the wastewater-based assessment of human exposure to chemicals from personal care and household products', Sci Total Environ, 845, 157309.
- Pistocchi A, Alygizakis NA, Brack W, et al. 2022, 'European scale assessment of the potential of ozonation and activated carbon treatment to reduce micropollutant emissions with wastewater', Sci Total Environ, 848, 157124.
- Dela Rosa FM, Popović M, Papac Zjačić J, et al. 2022, 'Visible-Light Activation of Persulfate or H2O2 by Fe2O3/TiO2 Immobilized on Glass Support for Photocatalytic Removal of Amoxicillin: Mechanism, Transformation Products, and Toxicity Assessment', Nanomaterials, 12, 23, 4328.
Selected research activities
Editor in chief Trends Environ Anal Chem (Elsevier), IF 13,622 (2nd Analytical Chemistry)