Valerio Pruneri is Corning Inc. Chair leading the Optoelectronics group at the Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO). Previously he worked for Avanex, Corning, Pirelli, and the University of Southampton. He has given 70+ invited talk and is inventor of ãbout 50 patents. He has taken part in 40+ technical or steering committees of international conferences. He serves on the QEOD board of the European Physical Society, the advisory board of ACREO AB Fiber Optic Centre, VLC Photonics and Quside. He was awarded the Philip Morris Prize, Pirelli Fellowship, IBM Faculty award, Paul Ehrenfest award, Corning Inc. Professorship and Duran Farell Prize for technological research. His work has led to numerous industrial collaborations (e.g. Corning Inc., Carl Zeiss and HP) and the creation of two spin offs, quside (2017) and sixsenso (to be launched 2020).
Valerio Pruneri leads the Optoelectronics group (OptoGroup) at the Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO), which studies and develops new advanced materials, devices and systems for optical telecommunication, sensing and cybersecurity. In particular, the main driving is to carry out research which bridges academia and industry, by developing fundamental ideas which will have an impact on commercial products.
– Sibilo R, Perez JM, Hurth C & Pruneri V 2019, ‘Surface cytometer for fluorescent detection and growth monitoring of bacteria over a large field-of-view’, Biomedical Optics Express, 10, 4, 2101 – 2116.
– Maniyara RA, Rodrigo D, Yu R, Canet-Ferrer J, Ghosh DSR, Yongsunthon R, Baker DE, Rezikyan A, Garcia de Abajo FJ & Pruneri V 2019, ‘Tunable plasmons in ultrathin metal films’, Nature Photonics, 13, 5, 328.
– Rombaut J, Fernandez M, Mazumder P & Pruneri V 2019, ‘Nanostructured Hybrid-Material Transparent Surface with Antireflection Properties and a Facile Fabrication Process’, Acs Omega, 4, 22, 19840 – 19846.
– Gopalan KK, Rodrigo D, Paulillo B, Soni KK, & Pruneri V 2019, ‘Ultrathin Yttria-stabilised zirconia as a flexible and stable substrate for infrared nano-optics’, Adv. Opt. Mater. 1800966
Selected research activities
– Corning Inc. Professor and head of Corning Surface Laborarory at ICFO, renewed up to 2023
– 5 patent applications filed
– Coordinator of European Quantum Technology Flagship project CiViQ and FET project Q-MIC
– National representative at European Commission for Quantum Communication Infrastructure programme