Valerio Pruneri is Corning Inc. Chair leading the Optoelectronics group at the Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO). Previously he worked for Avanex, Corning, Pirelli, and the University of Southampton. He is inventor in more than 60 patent families and has given about 100 invited talks. With his group he has developed technologies for the photonics, quantum, sensing and diplay industries. These include multifunciontal optical surfaces for antireflection and animirobial applications, low voltage integrated modulators and tunable lasers for DWDM, quantum random number generators, quantum phase imagers, quantum key distribution systems for cryptogaphy, His work has led to numerous industrial collaborations (e.g. Corning Inc., Carl Zeiss and HP) and the creation of three spin offs, Quside, Sixsenso and Luxquanta.
The Optoelectronics group (OptoGroup) at the Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO) studies and develops new advanced materials, devices and systems for optical telecommunication, sensing and quantum industry. In particular, the main driving is to carry out research which bridges academia and industry, by developing fundamental ideas which will have an impact on commercial products.
- Hussain R, Ongaro AE, Rodriguez de la Concepción ML, et al. 2022, 'Small form factor flow virometer for SARS-CoV-2', Biomedical Optics Express, 13, 3, 450212.
- Sarmiento S et al. 2022, 'Continuous-variable quantum key distribution over a 15 km multi-core fiber', New Journal Of Physics, 24, 6, 063011.
- Demuth A, Camphausen R, Cuevas Á et al. 2022, 'Quantum light transport in phase-separated Anderson localization fiber', Communications Physics, 5, 1, 261.
- Arrés Chillón J, Paulillo B, Mazumder P & Pruneri V 2022, "Transparent Glass Surfaces with Silica Nanopillars for Radiative Cooling", ACS Appl. Nano Mater. vol. 5, 12, 17606–17612
- Aldama J, Sarmiento S, López Grande IH, Signorini S, Trigo Vidarte L & Pruneri V 2022, "Integrated QKD and QRNG Photonic Technologies", Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 40, 7498 - 7517.
Selected research activities
- 4 patent applications
- 3 new EU projects granted, 2 as coordinator
- Renewal of Corning chair and laboratory up to Aug 2027