ICREA Prof. Stephan Roche is working at the Catalan Institute of Nanosciences and Nanotechnology-ICN2. He leads the "Theoretical & Computational Nanoscience" group which focuses on physics of Topological Quantum Matter (graphene & topological insulators,...) and 2D materials-based van der Waals heterostructures. He pioneered the development of linear scaling quantum transport approaches enabling simulations of billion atoms-scale disordered models (www.lsquant.org). He studied Theoretical Physics at ENS, got PhD (1996) at Grenoble University (France); worked in Japan, Spain & Germany; appointed assistant Prof. in 2000, CEA Researcher in 2004 and ICREA in 2009. Award: Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel prize from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (Germany).
S. Roche explores quantum transport in Topological Quantum Matter including graphene & topological insulators, and 2D materials-based van der Waals heterostructures and amorphous structures (amorphous boron-nitride & graphene). Topics (i) topological physics & entanglement (ii) Artificial Intelligence applied to Condensed Matter (ii) spin transport phenomena (iii) quantum decoherence mechanisms (iv) thermal transport at nanoscale (v) quantum devices simulation.
- Yang H, Valenzuela SO, Chshiev M, Couet S, Dieny B, Dlubak B, Fert A, Garello K, Jamet M, Jeong DE, Lee KE, Lee T, Martin MB, Sankar Kar G, Sénéor P, Shin HJ & Roche S 2022, ´Two-dimensional Materials Prospects for Non-volatile Spintronic Memories´, Nature 606, 663–673.
- Kurebayashi H, Garcia JH, Khan S, Sinova J & Roche S 2022, ´Magnetism, symmetry and spin transport in van der Waals layered systems´ Nature Reviews Physics vol. 4, 150–166.
- Çınar MN, Antidormi A, Nguyen VH, Kovtun A, Lara-Avila S, Liscio A, Charlier JC, Roche S & Sevinçli H 2022, ´Toward Optimized Charge Transport in Multilayer Reduced Graphene Oxides´, Nano Lett. 22, 6, 2202–2208.
- Alcón I, Calogero G, Papior N, Antidormi A, Song K, Cummings AW, Brandbyge M. & Roche S 2022 ´Unveiling the multiradical character of biphenylene network and its anisotropic charge transport´ J. Am. Chem. Soc. 144, 18, 8278–8285
- Pezo A, Zanolli Z, Wittemeier N, Ordejon P, Fazzio A, Roche S & Garcia JH 2022, 'Manipulation of spin transport in graphene/transition metal dichalcogenide heterobilayers upon twisting', 2d Materials, 9, 1, 015008.
- Garcia, JH, You J, García-Mota M, Koval P, Ordejón P, Cuadrado R, Verstraete MJ, Zanolli Z & Roche S 2022, ´Electrical control of spin-polarized topological currents in monolayer WTe2´, Phys. Rev. B 106, L161410.
- Antidormi A, Colombo L & Roche S 2022, 'Emerging properties of non-crystalline phases of graphene and boron nitride based materials´, Nano Materials Science, Volume 4, Issue 1, 10-17
- Roche S, Power SR, Nikolic B, Garcia JH & Pekka-Jauho A 2022, ´Have mysterious topological valley currents been observed in graphene superlattices?´ J. Phys. Mater. 5 021001.