Preclinical and Translational Research program Director at the Vall d'Hebron Institute of Oncology (VHIO) within the Vall d'Hebron Hospital since 2011. In 1998, he obtained his PhD from the University of Barcelona. Previously, in 1993, he obtained his BSc degree in Chemistry. Joan joined the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) in New York as a post-doctoral fellow in 1998 (first as a Research Fellow and then Research Associate since 2001). He was appointed ICREA Research Professor in 2004 and joined VHIO. In 2008, he was the recipient of a European Research Council (ERC) grant. He obtained two ERC Proof of Concept grants (2011, 2013). In 2008, he became Board member of the European Association of Cancer Research (EACR) and Associate Prof. at Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona. In 2012, founded Mosaic Biomedicals as a spin-off company from his lab and, in 2013, he was the recipient of the Dr. Josef Steiner Award. In 2016, he became Secretary General of the EACR.
Our main objective is to understand the molecular mechanisms involved in the initiation and progression of cancer. Specifically, our research is focused on the study of brain tumours, including glioma and brain metastasis. Both glioblastoma (the most aggressive form of glioma) and brain metastasis are dismal diseases with limited therapeutic options. The understanding of the molecular mechanisms that govern these types of cancer is required in order to design rational, specific and successful therapeutic approaches.
- Iurlaro R, Waldhauer I, Planas-Rigol E, et al. 2022, 'A Novel EGFRvIII T-Cell Bispecific Antibody for the Treatment of Glioblastoma', Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 21, 10, 1499 - 1509.
- Borazanci E, Schram AM, Garralda E, et al. 2022, 'Phase I, first-in-human study of MSC-1 (AZD0171), a humanized anti-leukemia inhibitory factor monoclonal antibody, for advanced solid tumors' ESMO Open, 7(4):100530.
- Pascual J, Attard G, Bidard FC, et al. 2022, 'ESMO recommendations on the use of circulating tumour DNA assays for patients with cancer: a report from the ESMO Precision Medicine Working Group', Ann Oncol, 33(8):750-768.
- Soffietti R, Bettegowda C, Mellinghoff IK, Warren KE, Ahluwalia MS, De Groot JF, Galanis E, Gilbert MR, Jaeckle KA, Le Rhun E, Rudà R, Seoane J, Thon N, Umemura Y, Weller M, van den Bent MJ, Vogelbaum MA, Chang SM & Wen PY 2022. 'Liquid biopsy in gliomas: a RANO review and proposals for clinical applications'. Neuro Oncology. 24, 6, 855 - 871.
- Seoane J & Escudero L 2022, 'Cerebrospinal fluid liquid biopsies for medulloblastoma', Nature reviews Clinical oncology, 19, pp 73–74.
- Gulley JL, Schlom J, Barcellos-Hoff MH, et al. 2022 'Dual inhibition of TGF-β and PD-L1: a novel approach to cancer treatment', Mol Oncol, 16(11):2117-2134.