Jordi Sort leads the ‘Group of Smart Nanoengineered Materials, Nanomechanics and Nanomagnetism’ (with around 20 researchers) as an ICREA Research Professor at UAB. After finishing his PhD in 2002 in the field of “magnetic interfacial effects” (Extraordinary Award), Prof. Sort performed two postdoctoral stays, at SPINTEC (Grenoble) and at Argonne National Laboratory. His research is focused on a wide variety of materials (thin films, lithographed structures, porous materials and nanocomposites) with emphasis on their magnetic and mechanical performance. He received awards from the Catalan and Spanish Physical Societies as well as the Federation of European Materials Societies. At present, Prof. Sort has supervised 13 PhD Theses, has published 306 articles (7850 citations in ISI WoS, h = 43), has issued 5 patents and has managed 30 national/international research projects, being Coordinator of an European Training Network (ITN) and a CoG and a PoC from the ERC.
Jordi Sort is investigating the nanomechanical and nanomagnetic properties of innovative and advanced materials, including lithographed structures, thin films and bulk specimens. Among his most relevant recent achievements one can mention: the use of nanoindentation and selective ion irradiation to create magnetic structures embedded in non-magnetic matrices; observation of magneto-electric and magneto-ionic effects in nanoporous alloys; the ductilization of metallic glasses by development of nanostructured morphologies; the growth of new types of coatings with enhanced mechanical, magnetic, corrosion-resistance and catalytic properties; the development of advanced biodegradable materials; the characterization of mesoporous materials and onion-type nanoparticles with interlayer magnetic interactions. Further information at: http://jsort-icrea.uab.cat/index.htm.
– Menéndez E, Sireus V, Quintana A, Fina I, Casals B, Cichelero R, Kataja M, Stengel M, Herranz G, Catalán G, Baró MD, Suriñach S & Sort J 2019, ‘Disentangling highly asymmetric magnetoelectric effects in engineered multiferroic heterostructures‘, Phys. Rev. Appl. 12 (1) 014041.
– Terzopoulou A, Hoop M, Chen XZ, Hirt AM, Charilaou M, Shen Y, Mushtaq F, Pérez del Pino A, Logofatu C, Simonelli L, deMello AJ, Doonan CJ, Sort J, Nelson BJ, Pané S & Puigmartí-Luis J 2019, ‘Mineralization-inspired synthesis of magnetic zeolitic imidazole framework composites‘, Angew. Chem. 58 (38) 13550-13555.
– Robbennolt S, Nicolenco S, Mercier Fernandez P, Auffret S, Baltz V, Pellicer E, Menéndez E & Sort J 2019, ‘Electric Field Control of Magnetism in Iron Oxide Nanoporous Thin Films‘, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 11 (40) 37338-37346.
– Jang B, Hong A, Alcantara C, Chatzipripiridis G, Martí X, Pellicer E, Sort J, Harduf Y, Or Y, Nelson BJ & Pané S 2019, ‘Programmable Locomotion Mechanisms of Nanowires with Semi-Hard Magnetic Properties Near a Surface Boundary‘, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 11 (3) 3214–3223.
– Navarro-Senent C, Quintana A, Menéndez M, Pellicer E & Sort J 2019, ‘Electrolyte-gated magnetoelectric actuation: phenomenology, materials, mechanisms and prospective applications‘, APL Mater. 7 (3) 030701.
– Cordero-Edwards K, Kianirad H, Canalias C, Sort J & Catalan G 2019, ‘Flexoelectric fracture-ratchet effect in ferroelectrics‘, Phys. Rev. Lett. 122 (13) 135502.
Selected research activities
– 19 publications (11 with ISI WoS I.F. > 4), 3 review papers and 3 patents (alive).
– Editorial Board of 6 ISI journals.
– 13 invited talks at International Conferences.
– Organizer/Scientific Committee of 6 workshops/conferences.
– 5 ongoing PhD Theses.
– Coordinator: H2020-ETN (‘BeMAGIC’), ERC-CoG, ERC-PoC, Spanish and Catalan Governments (Retos, Llavor, SGR).
– Technical Committee member of the IEEE Magnetics Society.
– Research highlighted/Interviews in TV2, TV3, Divulcat, Pint of Science, etc.