Graduated Theoretical Physics, Vilnius University, Lithuania, 1985. PhD in Physics, Vilnius University, 1989. Habilitation in Physics, Vilnius University, 2001. A.v. Humboldt fellow in Physikalisch-Technische Bundesantstalt (PTB) Braunschweig, Germany, 1991-1992. Senior research fellow in Braunschweig PTB and University of Hannover on nonlinear pattern formation in laser systems and Bose condensates 1993-2003. Since 2004 ICREA research professor in Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Barcelona, head of research group (DONLL) on lasers, photonics and meta-photonics, nonlinear laser dynamics. Professional experience: around 250 articles in scientific journals with more than 7000 citations (h-factor 49); appr. 500 presentations in conferences (more than 100 invited ones); 4 patents, 2 monographs. Up to now directed (or currently directing) 20 PhD projects.
Spatial quality of laser beams is of high importance in technologies: good quality beams propagate better collimated, can be more tight focused. Not all lasers, however, produce good beams: the radiation of especially very important semiconductor microlasers, microchip lasers,VCELSs, are too random and divergent. We develop new physical concepts and new techniques to manipulate the spatial structure of radiation, by using micro-modulated photonic materials: photonic crystals, metamaterials, Non-Hermitian optical materials. We develop these novel light-manipulation techniques in fundamental level and implement them in photonic industry. Also the good quality beams of microwaves, sound waves, or matter waves are required. We apply our experience in "smart manipulation of light patterns" to the other types of waves, to produce "clean" and well directed sound beams by so called "sonic crystals" in acoustics, as well as "clean" matter wave ensembles in modulated Bose condensates.
- Kontenis G, Gailevicius D, Jimenez N & Staliunas K 2022, 'Optical Drills by Dynamic High-Order Bessel Beam Mixing', Physical Review Applied, 17, 3, 034059.
- Ivars SB, Botey M, Herrero R & Staliunas K 2022, 'Non-Hermitian control of optical turbulence in systems with fractional dispersion', Chaos Solitons & Fractals, 165, 2, 112774.
- Herrero R, Pardell JM, Botey M & Staliunas K 2022, 'Non-Hermitian coupled semiconductor laser array', Semiconductor Lasers And Laser Dynamics X, 12141, 1214102.
- Botey M, Ahmed WW, Herrero R, Wu Y & Staliunas K 2022, 'Inverse-design of non-Hermitian potentials for light management', Metamaterials XIII, 12130, 121300B.
- Lukosiunas I, Gailevicius D & Staliunas K 2022, 'Spatial filter realized by dielectric waveguides', Nanophotonics Ix, 12131, 121310C.
- Ivars SB, Botey M, Herrero R, & Staliunas K 2022, 'Optical Turbulence control by non-Hermitian potentials', Phys Rev A 105, 033510.
Selected research activities
Invited talks: SPIE'22 Strasbourg, Photonic West'22 San Francisco, META'22 Torremolinos, FMNT-NIBS'22 Riga;
Commitees: CLEO Europe/EQEC, SPIE Europe Prague (permanent member since 2020)
Master course "Optical Materials and Metamaterials" in Europhotonics programme.