Albert holds M.Sc. and PhD in Physics from the University of Barcelona (2001, 2007) and M. Eng. in Materials Science from the Polytechnic University of Catalonia (2007). He worked as research associate at the IMB-CSIC (ES) and as visiting researcher at the University of Oslo (NO), Imperial College London (UK) and Caltech (USA). In 2010, Albert gained a Ramon y Cajal Fellowship and joined the Catalonia Institute for Energy Research (IREC) as the Head of the Nanoionics and Fuel Cells Group. Currently, he is ICREA Professor at IREC and leads a group of 25+ people devoted to nanomaterials for alternative energy technologies and their applicability in powering portable devices and hydrogen/synthetic fuels production. He has been PI of 9 EU projects, including one ERC-CoG and two coordinated H2020, attracting a total amount of 15+ M€. He is currently editor of J. Phys. Energy (IoP) and J. Eur. Ceram. Soc. (Elsevier)
The research work carried out by Albert is in advanced materials for energy applications. In particular, he has been developing innovative concepts for improving the performance of different solid state energy devices such as Solid Oxide Fuel and Electrolysis Cells (SOFC/SOEC), ThermoElectric Generators (TEGs) or Li-ion batteries for energy storage and portable power applications. In the last years, Albert has been specifically developing new concepts for the unexplored field of Nanoionics. Nanoionics is called to drive a new revolution similarly to Nanoelectronics, underlining the relevance of size effects and interfaces on mass transfer, transport and storage. Albert’s group is pioneer in implementing interface-dominated nanomaterials in real devices for radically new applications. In this direction, he was recently awarded with an ERC CoG to implement disruptive Nanoionics concepts in Si-integrated micro-SOFC technology and a FET Proactive project on new micro energy technologies.
– Chiabrera F, Garbayo I, López-Conesa L, Martín G, Ruiz-Caridad A, Walls M, Ruiz-González L, Kordatos A, Núñez M, Morata A, Estradé S, Chroneos A, PeiróF & Tarancón A 2019, ‘Engineering Transport in Manganites by Tuning Local Nonstoichiometry in Grain Boundaries‘, Advanced Materials, 31, 4, 1805360. (Selected for the cover image)
– Tarancon A 2019, ‘Powering the IoT revolution with heat‘, Nature Electronics 2, 270.
– Donmez I, Gadea G, Salleras M, Pacios M, Calaza C, Stranz A, Dolcet M, Morata A, Tarancon A & Fonseca L 2019, “SiGe nanowire arrays based thermoelectric microgenerator“, Nano Energy 57, 492-499.
– Garbayo I, Chiabrera F, Alayo N, Santiso J, Morata A & Tarancón A* 2019, ‘Thin film oxide-ion conducting electrolyte for near room temperature applications‘, Journal of Materials Chemistry A 7, 25772 (selected for the cover image of the issue)
– Chiabrera F, Garbayo I, Pla D, Burriel M, Wilhelm F, Rogalev A, Núñez M, Morata A & Tarancón A 2019, “Unraveling bulk and grain boundary electrical properties in La0.8Sr0.2Mn1-yO3+d thin films“, APL Materials 7, 013205 (Invited Article)
Selected research activities
– Coordinator of the the EU HARVESTORE project granted with 7M€ within the Future Emerging Technologies (H2020-FET Proactive) programme
– Coordinator of the ULTRASOFC (H2020-ERC-CoG) and Cell3Ditor (H2020-FCH JU) EU projects
– Editor of the Journal of the European Ceramic Society (Elsevier) and the Journal of Physics: Energy (IoP Publishing)
– Guest editor of special issues in the journals Advanced Materials Interfaces (“Functional Oxide Thin Films for Advanced Energy and Information Technology”) and Journal of Physics Energy (“Power-to-X Technologies”)
– 2 Plenary, 1 Keynote and 7 Invited Lectures in international reputed conferences
– Dissemination actions towards a zero-emission society at the Port of Barcelona and “La fábrica del Sol” (BCN city council)