Anton Vidal graduated in Chemistry at the “Institut Químic de Sarrià” in 1987 and completed his PhD at the same institution in 1992 with Prof. P. Victory. Throughout the two post-doctoral appointments that followed (at the University of Cambridge with Prof. J.K.M. Sanders and the University of Barcelona with Prof. M.A. Pericàs) he studied topical and diverse areas of chemistry such as Supramolecular Chemistry and aspects of Enantioselective Catalysis. He had the opportunity to complement his academic background with the industrial experience gained during his tenure in a number of research departments at Bayer-AG (Leverkusen). Following the appointment as ICREA Research Professor (Catalan Institution for Research and Advanced Studies) he started his independent research activities as a Group Leader at the ICIQ in September 2003. In October 2019, he moved as Research Professor to the Department of Inorganic and Organic Chemistry at the University of Barcelona.
Our past and current objectives encompass the Design of Efficient Enantioselective Catalysts for Transformations of Interest, and the study of their use to prepare products with relevance in the life-science sector and fine chemicals arena. We are working in an area of research in which cutting-edge chemistry combines concepts from supramolecular and physical organic chemistry with traditional approaches from enantioselective catalysis. Crucial aspects of this work include modular design of the catalysts; use of versatile synthetic procedures; incorporation of regulation mechanisms to optimize the geometry of the catalyst’s active-site; and computational study of their catalytic cycles (through collaborations).
– Carreras L, Benet-Buchholz J, Franconetti A, Frontera A, van Leeuwen PWNM & Vidal-Ferran A 2019, ‘Halogen Bonding Effects on the Outcome of Reactions at Metal Centres’, Chem Commun, 55, 2380-2383.
– Corella-Ochoa MN, Tapia JB, Rubin HN, Lillo V, González-Cobos J, Núñez Rico JL, Balestra SRG, Almora-Barrios N, Lledós M, Güell-Bara A, Cabezas-Giménez J, Escudero-Adán EC, Vidal-Ferran A, Calero S, Reynolds MM, Martí-Gastaldo C & Galán-Mascarós JR 2019 ‘Homochiral Metal Organic Frameworks for Enantioselective Separations in Liquid Chromatography’, J Am Chem Soc, 141, 14306−14316.
– Fernández-Pérez H & Vidal-Ferran A 2019, ‘Stereoselective Catalytic Synthesis of P-Stereogenic Oxides via Hydrogenative Kinetic Resolution’, Org Lett, 21, 7019-7023.
– Llorente N, Fernández-Pérez H, Núñez-Rico JL, Carreras L, Martínez-Carrión A, Iniesta E, Romero-Navarro A, Martínez-Bascuñana A & Vidal-Ferran A 2019, ‘Efficient Modular Phosphorus-Containing Ligands for Stereoselective Catalysis’, Pure Appl Chem, 91, 3-15.
– Martínez-Carrión A, Howlett MG, Alamillo-Ferrer C, Clayton AD, Bourne RA, Codina A, Vidal-Ferran A, Adams RW & Burés J 2019, ‘Kinetic Treatments for Catalyst Activation and Deactivation Processes based on Variable Time Normalization Analysis’, Angew Chem, Int Ed, 58, 10189-10193.
– Puértolas B, Rellán-Piñeiro M, Núñez-Rico JL, Amrute AP, Vidal-Ferran A, López N, Pérez-Ramírez J & Wershofen S 2019, ‘Mechanistic Insights into the Ceria-Catalyzed Synthesis of Carbamates as Polyurethane Precursors’, ACS Catalysis, 9, 7708-7720.
Selected research activities
Ten invited talks in International Conferences and University Departments (e.g. Keynote lecture at ICNI 2019, Lisbon)
Publication of a patent (Vidal-Ferran A. et al. 2019, WO2019185608A1) within a collaborative research program with COVESTRO AG
Evaluator of projects and articles for a number of chemistry panels and editorial boards
Student promotion: Lucas Carrera (PhD Thesis, Univ. Rovira i Virgili)
Visiting Professor at the “Freie Universität Berlin”