Born on 7 March 1959 in Kiev, Ukraine. Candidate of Sciences (equivalent to PhD) in Colloid Chemistry, A.V. Dumanskiy Institute of Colloid and Water Chemistry, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kiev, 1983. Doctor of Sciences in Physics and Mathematics, Institute of Physical Chemistry of Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, 1992. ICREA Research Professor at the Polytechnic University of Catalonia, since 2007. Invited researcher/professor at Karl-Franzens Universität, Graz, Austria; École Nationale Supérieure de Chimie et de Physique de Bordeaux (France); École Supérieure Chimie Physique Electronique de Lyon (France); Universität Duisburg - Essen (Germany); Paul-Scherrer-Institute (Switzerland), etc. Member of Editorial Board of Desalination and Water Treatment (Taylor & Francis UK). Published 122 papers on theoretical and experimental studies of membranes, colloids, porous media and micro-/nano-fluidic systems.
The keyword is behaviour of fluids at nano-scale. I study the transfer of ions and water molecules through nano-metric (tens of nanometers) barrier layers of composite nanofiltration membranes. Another example is the transfer of ions and water through nano-porous track-etched membranes having identical cylindrical pores. I also study processes of current-induced concentration polarization of nano-/micro-interfaces where concentration polarization is strongly-coupled to electroosmosis and fine separation of solutes like peptides can occur. Recently, I discovered that a layered structure consisting of a micro-perforated ion-exchange membrane and a nanoporous layer can have very interesting properties useful for AC electroosmotic pumping . Another topic is experimental and theoretical studies of ion transfer across polyelectrolyte multilayers where we have recently discovered very high (>1000) selectivities in the electrically-driven transfer of ions of different charge magnitudes.
– Yaroshchuk A, Bruening ML & Zholkovskiy E 2019, ‘Modelling nanofiltration of electrolyte solutions’, Adv. Colloid & Interface Sci., 268, 39-63
– Ahmad M, Tang C, Yang L, Andriy Yaroshchuk & Bruening ML 2019, ‘Layer-by-layer modification of aliphatic polyamide anion-exchange membranes to increase Cl−/SO42− selectivity’, J.Membr.Sci., 578, 209-219
– Fernandez de Labastida M & Yaroshchuk A 2019, ‘Transient membrane potential after concentration step: a new method for advanced characterization of ion-exchange membranes’, J.Membr.Sci., 585, 271-281
– Bondarenko MP, Bruening ML & Yaroshchuk A 2019, ‘Highly Selective Current-Induced Accumulation of Trace Ions at Micro-/NanoPorous Interfaces’, Advanced Theory And Simulations, 2, 6, 1900009.
– Yaroshchuk A, Bondarenko M, Tang C & Bruening ML 2019, ‘Limiting Case of Constant Counterion Electrochemical Potentials in the Membrane for Examining Ion Transfer at Ion-exchange Membranes and Patches’, Langmuir, 35, 40, 13243 – 13256.