Dr. Julio Lloret-Fillol graduated in Chemistry from the Universidad de Valencia in 2001 where he also obtained his PhD in 2006, working under the supervision of Prof. P. Lahuerta and Prof. J. Pérez-Prieto. After his PhD he moved to the University of Heidelberg to the group of Prof. L. H. Gade as a postdoctoral MEyC fellow and postdoctoral Marie Curie fellow. Since 2010 he has been working as an independent research leader at Universitat de Girona (Ramón y Cajal program). In 2014 he obtained a position as Young Research Group Leader at the Institut de Química Computational i Catàlisi (UdG). In November 2014 he move to the Institute of Chemical Research of Catalonia (ICIQ) as a junior group leader and in 2020 promoted to his actual position of Senior group leader.
My research mainly focuses on designing new catalysts for more sustainable chemistry using artificial photosynthetic schemes (APS) (ERC Consolidator Grant). Although artificial photosynthetic schemes are a potential solution for a future sustainable society, basic science still needs to be done to achieve this objective. Accordingly, my research dream is to address the production of fine chemicals using solely CO2, water and light as driving force. To this end, we are working on developing new methodologies to employ light as a driving force to produce reductive organic transformation and in the understanding of one of the most important reactions on the earth, water oxidation, identified as one of the bottlenecks for the production of solar fuels. Mechanistic investigations will aid in understanding multi-proton multi-electron transformations. These research areas can open new avenues for newer and greener synthetic methods.
- Casadevall C, Pascual D, Aragón J, et al. 2022, 'Light-driven reduction of aromatic olefins in aqueous media catalysed by aminopyridine cobalt complexes', Chem Sci, vol. 13, pp 4270-4282.
- Aragón J, Sun S, Pascual D, Jaworski S & Lloret-Fillol J 2022, 'Photoredox Activation of Inert Alkyl Chlorides for the Reductive Cross-Coupling with Aromatic Alkenes', Angew Chem Int Ed. 61(21), e202114365.
- Michaliszyn K, Smirnova ES, Bucci A, Martin-Diaconescu V & Lloret-Fillol J 2022, 'Well-defined Nickel P3C Complexes as Hydrogenation Catalysts of N-Heteroarenes Under Mild Conditions', Chemcatchem, 14, 11, e202200039.
- Fernandez S, Dubed Bandomo GC & Lloret-Fillol J 2022, 'Recent advances in electrocatalytic CO2 reduction with molecular complexes', Adv. Inorg. Chem. Recent Highlights II, vol. 79, pp 297 - 349.
- Fernandez SC, Dubed Bandomo G & Lloret-Fillol J 2022 'Recent advances in electrocatalytic CO2 reduction with molecular complexes', Adv Inorg Chem, vol. 79, pp 297-349.
- Casadevall C, Aragón J, Cañellas S, Pericàs MA, Lloret-Fillol J & Caldentey X 2022 The Power of High-Throughput Experimentation: General Topics and Enabling Technologies for Synthesis and Catalysis (Volume 1) 145-165, American Chemical Society, Washington, DC.
Selected research activities
Professor at the Master’s in Advanced Catalysis and Molecular Modelling (UdG)
CSO & Co-founder of the JOLT solution spin-off (2022).
Selected Conferences &Talks
Gordon Research Conference - Metallocofactors, June 5 - 10, 2022, Newport, USA. “Water Oxidation Catalysis by Synthetic Model Systems” Plenary Speaker.
3rd International Conference on Hydrogen Atom Transfer (iCHAT 2022) Frascati, Italy, June 26-30, 2022, “Light-Driven Reduction of Olefins by Cobalt Complexes” Plenary Speaker.
- 44th International Conference on Coordination Chemistry (ICCC2022) Rimini, Italy, August 28, 2022, "Well-Defined Catalysts for Reductive Transformations; from Solar Fuels to Fine Solar Chemicals" Key Note.