Academic Degrees: PhD in Astrophysics, Niels Bohr Institute, Copenhagen, 1997 Degree in Astronomy, University of Padova, 1992 Academic Positions: ICREA Research Professor, University of Barcelona, March 2010 - present Associate Professor, UC San Diego, June 2007 - February 2010 Assistant Professor, UC San Diego, June 2003 - June 2007 Postdoctoral Fellow, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Caltech, 2001 - 2003 Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard University, 1999 - 2001 Postdoctoral Fellow, INOAE, Puebla, 1998 - 1999
A major goal of my research is to understand the origin of stars. Star formation is a central problem in the study of galaxy evolution and cosmology. Stars are a dominant energy source to the interstellar medium of galaxies and control their chemical enrichment; the first massive stars in the universe contributed to its re-ionization. Because star-forming gas in galaxies is highly turbulent, the study of star formation involves the investigation of turbulence as well. A general theory of turbulence does not exist, but computer simulations provide valuable information on universal properties of turbulent flows. I conduct numerical experiments of super-sonic, self-gravitating magneto-hydrodynamic turbulence with physical parameters appropriate for describing star-forming gas in galaxies. Using adaptive mesh refinement methods, numerical simulations may span a huge range of scales, from the size of a galactic disk to that of an individual circumstellar disk.
– Suri S, Sanchez-Monge A, Schilke P, Clarke SD, Smith RJ, Ossenkopf-Okada V, Klessen R, Padoan P, Goldsmith P, Arce HG, Bally J, Carpenter JM, Ginsburg A, Johnstone D, Kauffmann J, Kong S, Dariusz CL, Mairs S, Pillai T, Pineda JE & Duarte-Cabral A 2019, ‘The CARMA-NRO Orion Survey Filamentary structure as seen in (CO)-O-18 emission’, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 623, A142.
– Pan L, Padoan P & Nordlund A 2019, ‘Inaccuracy of Spatial Derivatives in Riemann Solver Simulations of Supersonic Turbulence’, Astrophysical Journal, 876, 2, 90.
– Juvela M, Padoan P, Ristorcelli I & Pelkonen VM 2019, ‘Synthetic observations of dust emission and polarisation of Galactic cold clumps’, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 629, A63.
– Kong S, Arce HG, Sargent AI, Mairs S, Klessen RS, Bally J, Padoan P, Smith RJ, Maureira MJ, Carpenter JM, Ginsburg A, Stutz AM, Goldsmith P, Meingast S, McGehee P, Sanchez-Monge A, Suri S, Pineda JE, Alves J, Feddersen JR, Kauffmann J & Schilke P 2019, ‘The CARMA-NRO Orion Survey: Core Emergence and Kinematics in the Orion A Cloud’, Astrophysical Journal, 882, 1, 45.
– Pan L, Padoan P & Nordlund A 2019, ‘The Probability Distribution of Density Fluctuations in Supersonic Turbulence’, Astrophysical Journal, 881, 2, 155.